• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

Black+White Carrion Crow

Hi,
At the back of the Bowes Museum (ten fields) we have 3 black & white young Carrion crows,One today was throwing a chunk of wood in the air the flying and catching it over and over againIn the second picture you can just see the small log it as in its mouth.Also in the garden yesterday a lesser spotted woodpecker which i missed on the camera,this bird was also in the garden early in the year,quiet rare i have been told.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=510639&stc=1&d=1408905666http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=510640&stc=1&d=1408905761

Attachments

• IMG_2602.JPG
    IMG_2602.JPG
    461.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    498.3 KB · Views: 192
Low Barns on Saturday, Kingfishers seen at West hide, on river and Northumbrian hide, small mouse feeding under feeder at West hide, Kestrel flew over and perched on bare tree on opp side of lake at West hide, all giving good photo opportunities.

Cuckoo today!

Hi I was in Wingate quarry today and did not expect to see this, I thought all the cuckoos where in Africa now.

Attachments

• Cuckoo DSC_2831.jpg
    Cuckoo DSC_2831.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 132
Far Pastures

A couple of shots of the Jack Snipe and Water Rail from Far Pastures today. What was nice about the Jack Snipe is it is the only second one I have seen and the fist self found one.
I took that many shots I am still going through them.

Attachments

• DSC_9034.jpg
    DSC_9034.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_4072.jpg
    DSC_4072.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 78
Jackdaw with Isabellinism

Found this jackdaw with isabellinism being mobbed in Wingate Quarry today 9:10am

Attachments

• Jackdaw.jpg
    Jackdaw.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Jackdaw1.jpg
    Jackdaw1.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 64
I would contact your nearest RSPB Office.

Send an e-mail to [email protected]

Or Newcastle Office Sirius House Quayside Telephone: 0300 7772 676

Or Birds and wildlife advice: 01767 693690 (office hours)

Been a while since I was last here, rather suprised that the post is still on the last page :h?:

It all turned out well in the end. The roller doors were left half open whilst been monitored on cctv. Of course they've all gone now :flyaway:

Thanks all for your help :t:

Had a great afternoon in the company of 15 of Gateshead's Red Kites.
I have known for a while that some of the locals feed the birds and today i found one of the streets where it actually happens.
Had a natter with a couple of the residents and realised that there are a few of them that regularly put food out for the birds.
This was as good as watching the kites at Bellymack Farm, Dumfries, but a lot closer to home :t:

Kept over 400 shots from this afternoon - here are a couple of the pictures:

Attachments

• 2014-10-19-140118-DSC_4172-1.jpg
    2014-10-19-140118-DSC_4172-1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 2014-10-19-140786-DSC_4840-1.jpg
    2014-10-19-140786-DSC_4840-1.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 2014-10-19-140953-DSC_5007-1.jpg
    2014-10-19-140953-DSC_5007-1.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 2014-10-19-140992-DSC_5046-1.jpg
    2014-10-19-140992-DSC_5046-1.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 111
Kites' teaparty

You have wisely not given the location - we know that some residents do feed the kites. Not long ago, Gateshead Council distributed a leaflet giving advice about feeding anything to wildlife because of problems with rats.
We just try to advise on what kind of food should be offered - bone, feathers and flesh, not just best chicken fillets!!
Gibside regularly kills grey squirrels, then throws them out for the kites. Any idea of a Formal Feeding station, like Bellymack, has always been discounted. If our kites struggle through the winter, then supplementary food could be given, but randomly both in time and location.
I have saved your super shots and hope you agree to my using them sometime - you will receive an acknowledgement.

I have known for a while that some of the locals feed the birds and today i found one of the streets where it actually happens.
Had a natter with a couple of the residents and realised that there are a few of them that regularly put food out for the birds.
This was as good as watching the kites at Bellymack Farm, Dumfries, but a lot closer to home :t:

Must say Derek, stunning shots. Some of best I've seen of our local kites. Well done.

Mark

Must say Derek, stunning shots. Some of best I've seen of our local kites. Well done.

Mark

Thanks Mark - was a great sight, but the thing that pleased me the most was how much the residents love the kites, they talked about them with so much affection, knew a lot of the tag numbers by name - they obviously have done their homework.

Any video footage?

Do you ever take video footage Derek? If so, it could be a really useful tool for us to use on our website and on the OurGateshead.org.uk site.

Thanks Mark - was a great sight, but the thing that pleased me the most was how much the residents love the kites, they talked about them with so much affection, knew a lot of the tag numbers by name - they obviously have done their homework.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back