• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dusky or Naumann's Thrush in Qinghai? (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
This was taken in November 2017 on the banks of the Yellow River in Qinghai, China. I IDed it as a Dusky Thrush at the time, but on eBird it's still listed among my unconfirmed records. Did I get it wrong?

FB_IMG_1705136899467.jpg

I think it is simply a Dusky Thrush. Naumann's Thrush would have red chevrons on the chest. I think that the reddish cast on Phil Steiner's bird is a partial artefact - is that stuff in the river in the background really that red, and if so what is it?

Photos 1 and 2: versions of the OP's bird with the red turned down especially in 2 - photo 2 looks like a regular Dusky.

Photo 3: an actual Naumann's taken by me in Japan.

BF Dusky A.jpgBF Dusky A2.jpg090216024 Nara Park BF.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back