• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Owls on T.V. repeat. (4 Viewers)

delia todd said:
Robert, here is a link to a thread about it last year - Poecile's post No 4 will shed more light on this

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=50430&highlight=eagle+yorkshire

Charlie: I'm er... still trying to understand the last paragraph in your last post??? :h?:

D

I don't know what went wrong with that last paragraph B :) .... :h?: I suppose I could claim fatigue, I had been up since 05-00am.
I think what I was trying to say was, do we avoid televising programs of this nature in an effort to protect the subjects from such unsrcrupolus people? which in turn then spites folk like the good people of this forum that enjoy such spectacles. Or do we become better at policing these sites....even better still educating people that killing these magnificent creatures is wrong.

I think it's an element of all 3 that need to work hand in hand but at the end of the day the people with the mindset of shoot or poison everything that moves for either fun or to protect their 'shoots' will still be a force that will come to play. Don't take me up wrong I'm not anti shooting here in fact a lot of good work in habitat maintenance has been down to gun clubs, but in every walk of life there will be the few that go their own way. I would be the first to stand against some of the antics of some of the so called 'pro wildlifers' just as much as some of the blast away brigade.
When it comes to us humans, changing attitudes can be a long process. |=(| |=(|

Last edited:
Yes I agree that the attitude problem is the thing. Educating people with closed minds is an impossible task. Here I am talking of those that kill protected birds. This still continues to occur on a nearby RSPB reserve where Hen Harriers breed. I asked one of the wardens last year if the problem was becoming any less. His answer was a catergorical 'no'. The RSPB spend thousands of £s each year to guard birds on an RSPB reserve in England in the 21st century!!! Sad indeed that this is required.

Last edited:
Helenelizabeth2 said:
Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm on a Mac so I can't have one yet - the message made me smile:

Sorry, there isn't a Mac version yet but one is being developed and we hope it will be available by autumn 2006.

Now that's what you call progress.. by time they get that up and running Bill will be popping out on a zimmer frame.... ;)

brianfm said:
This still continues to occur on a nearby RSPB reserve where Hen Harriers breed. I asked one of the wardens last year if the problem was becoming any less. His answer was a catergorical 'no'. The RSPB spend thousands of £s each year to guard birds on an RSPB reserve in England in the 21st century!!! Sad indeed that this is required.

Sad is an understatement Brian, this is the sort of thing you expect to see with an animal like the Black Rhino not in so called 'developed world'. 2007 to date has been all about global warming, soon the media will tire of this and move onto something else, which, brings me back round to the power of the TV presenter such as Bill Oddie and co. (not forgetting Kate :bounce: ) and the role they can play through using the media as a tool to get the 'conservation and appreciation of our natural heritage' message across.

Another program I've been watching of late that I think really works, both the format and the presenters (Chris Packam is one) is 'Nature's Calender'.

I've not seen natures callender, but I do rate Chris Packam. The presenters that work for me are always the guys/gals who clearly have a deep love and knowledge of their subject. People like Chris P and Bill O are great at getting the message over to youngsters and many of us older ones. I think that counts for a great deal.

Kate Humble is giving a talk in Newcastle next week. I am rather tempted to go along and ask how she keeps Bill under control. ;) Rumour has it that they don't get on, but I think they work really well together. I think it matters not a jot if they get on with one another or not. A few people I worked with that I didn't really care that much for, but it didn't stop us doing a decent job of work.

luke said:
indeed it is. very unfortunate, as i helped in the making of this film, me and a friend provided the close up shots of the eagle owl flying over the camera etc.

That's remarkable Luke! Are you working on any other wildlife filming? Is that your job or hobby?
Either way, what a fantastic experience.

p.s. I wish I knew how to link in several quotes, there have been lots of interesting comments in this thread.

brianfm said:
Kate Humble is giving a talk in Newcastle next week. I am rather tempted to go along and ask how she keeps Bill under control. ;)..

LOL!! I'm booking a flight as I type :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: I'm rather tempted to go along and gaze at Kate :flowers: :flowers:

Last edited:
RKell1 said:
LOL!! I'm booking a flight as I type :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: I'm rather tempted to go along and gaze at Kate :flowers: :flowers:

Well yeah, there was that advantage too. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back