• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 recommendation (1 Viewer)

Tracker12

I am looking at buying an Older Nikon ED50 as a compact spotter. What should I be looking for in a body and eyepiece. I would like a fixed 27X. but understand then made several versions.

Body wise choice of angled or straight - really a matter of preference. Secondhand on ebay etc. or new from Japan (amazon.jp a good option IMO).

The MCII version of the eyepiece has a better eyecup for general viewing but is almost impossible to find. The DS version works okay though and is perfect or digiscoping.

Body wise choice of angled or straight - really a matter of preference. Secondhand on ebay etc. or new from Japan (amazon.jp a good option IMO).
Or from some German suppliers, including Amazon.
The MCII version of the eyepiece has a better eyecup for general viewing but is almost impossible to find. The DS version works okay though and is perfect or digiscoping.
And the DS version is perfect for people wearing glasses. Better than the MC version.

Hermann

Or from some German suppliers, including Amazon.

And the DS version is perfect for people wearing glasses. Better than the MC version.

Hermann

Yes you can get the body new from multiple places - Japan seemed much cheaper when I last looked, but going local might be better.

I hadn't thought of the DS being better for glasses users, but I can imagine that. As a non-glasses wearer my preference are the eyecups of the MC's, but my 27x is DS and perfectly usable. The old 20x for the early 60mm fieldscopes is nice to use too even with the older coatings.

I am looking at buying an Older Nikon ED50 as a compact spotter. What should I be looking for in a body and eyepiece. I would like a fixed 27X. but understand then made several versions.
Tracker12,

Is this your first scope, or are you buying it to complement an existing larger scope ?

I have had many spotting scopes over the years. Swarovski Kowa and a few Leupolds. Just wanting a compact to complement Binos ands larger spotter. So am I correct understanding that Nikon still makes the ED50 body or are these left overs. The straight 27X is what I am looking for in an eyepiece.

Last edited:
Still in production as far as I know, but generally a special order item from UK shops at least, and dearer than buying from Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back