• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Editing Beginner - help with masking (1 Viewer)

Jacob12

Namibia
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to learn how to elevate my processing, but am very very new at this. I recently got On1 software which allows for masking and layers (previously just using Apple photos which only does universal edits).

However, I cant seem to figure out how to reduce the white border around the masked area. I've attached a quick photo of a Bradfield's Swift (original and edit) to demonstrate. Any advice would be very appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC_0449 2.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0449.jpg
    DSC_0449.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
Can't really help with the particulars of On1, all my masking experience has been with Photoshop. In Photoshop one can manually paint on a mask, or expand and contact a mask. A quick look at On1 shows a "feather" option to help you refine the mask, you could try using that. That can be the problem with "AI" tools, they can be a great time saving aid but if there is no manual option to fettle the result then you may as well not have them.

This was an auto mask in Photoshop with some manual refining and finally hand painting the mask around the tail. No really happy with the tail but it is just a demonstration of mask refining and I CBA.
DSC_0449 2 PS.jpg

Thank you so much for this. Yes, On1 does have manual painting on of masks-- there's feathering and opacity and all of that. It seems like, as with everything, I just need to keep at it

I cant help with On1 as i've never heard of it, but what you've ended up with ( white border ) is what happens when you overdo the shadows and light in the upmarket Photo Editors

This is your swift run through Adobe CS without using layers or masks

DSC_0449 2.JPG

Last edited:
Many thanks. I realized that I was trying to use layers instead of masking. I figured out how to use the masking brush for local adjustments which has greatly improved my results. Still much to learn, but I'm getting there.

I did the process in about 1 minute, so you can see mine is not a brilliant photo, but i was looking to see how quickly it could be done without going too deep in layers / masking etc. I'm sure a better process and be done, but the under-exposure on the original is a bit severe

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back