• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (1 Viewer)

I think they drape behind, Ed. I'm sure in Ken's photo link the creature is just taking off - hence its spread legs (as it would be at rest).
One simple way to get the authoratitive answer is to paint them as you imagine them - some 'expert' will soon crawl out of the woodwork and tell you you've got it wrong!!!!!

I think they drape behind, Ed. I'm sure in Ken's photo link the creature is just taking off - hence its spread legs (as it would be at rest).
One simple way to get the authoratitive answer is to paint them as you imagine them - some 'expert' will soon crawl out of the woodwork and tell you you've got it wrong!!!!!

Thank-you all- drapey behind legs it has to be. Now with hopefully just enough blurry hill and tower block and wet bit to evoke rural Korea.

Attachments

• orig mosquito master copy.jpg
    orig mosquito master copy.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 40
  • swept mosquito master.jpg
    swept mosquito master.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 40
  • master backgrond swalllow copy.jpg
    master backgrond swalllow copy.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 61
While I am it- I did manage to sneak out at weekend and lug 'scope with me: curiously thru naked eye the local Brents seemed to have been allocated a giant barcode (crop from long range photo) but through scope it turned out to be waders and posts- so the Turnstone on the left got sketched.

Attachments

• 650turnstonescan0001 copy.jpg
    650turnstonescan0001 copy.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 49
  • barcode wadersDSC_0001 copy.jpg
    barcode wadersDSC_0001 copy.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 63
Superb colourwork Ed - very impressive indeed.
Got to agree about the potential with the barcode - great idea and these turnstones have a wonderful fluidity of line. Beautiful.

Gosh, the barcode looks looks like a bird version of stonehenge!
The swallow complete with drapey legged mosquito is superb

lots to see here - I really think the barcode needs to be developed fully - it's already a wonderful image.

Hello all- I had hoped to have a Great Northern Diver painting to show for my weekend but for the millionth time I fell into the trap of drawing an inbetweeny one- neither fully alert nor puffed up and high in the water, neither side on nor clearly at an angle...

So painting is on hold, but as my punishment for lack of discipline I cranked up the computah and tried to work a few things out as per attached- same bird going from alert and alarmed to gently kipping. Eyesize (actual and apparent) is a topic in its own right on these beasties. I think the answer is that it looks beady and small when overlapped by sleepy lids, but bigger (or bigger looking) when alert, wide-open and with feathers compressed.

Attachments

• 650 gnd ref master copy.jpg
    650 gnd ref master copy.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 61
I'd love to have the opportunity to see divers long enough to start picking up details like these. Luckily you've got the info down for future reference, nice work.

Mike

Hello all- another shot at a GND. I set myself the stern objective of keeping it late afternoon backlit and not succumbing to temptation to give it red eye, white eyering, gleaming bill....

Attachments

• q8 stour gndDSC_0079 copy.jpg
    q8 stour gndDSC_0079 copy.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 77
Love it - for me, perhaps one of the most characteristic features of Gnd (the eye-shape) is depicted expertly. Clear how much these battleships mean to you - a lot of love in this one, and it's splendid.

I have to agree with everything that's already been said.

And I'd add this. If you told me someone was going to make a full rich painting out of one bird sitting in water in the middle of the page I would have doubted it. Maybe a sketch but not a painting. Your eye would just go to the center of the painting and then heave nowhere else to go. But this one has enough interest in the water itself, and the bird is a bit hidden in it, so that your eye, or at least my eye, keeps moving around the entire painting.

What kind and appreciative chaps you all are- losing bill and body and focussing on the the old shark-eye was exactly the plan.

Mark- in answer to your question, its done in "interactive" acrylics. I was put onto them by Mouldy on here and am much indebted to him- I'm finding them much more forgiving and flexible in my hands than straight quick drying acrylics.

Woody- there's been a nice and amenable adult GND in the dyke at Reculver last few days, if you are having any Kentish outings at the w/e.

Nice eye Ed! BTW what make of acrylics are ya using....might give 'em a go

Ads

Its these chaps here- you get about a day of blendy workability [at least on CANVAS] before they dry, which just happens to suit me and if you really jab at them with a bristly brush and some medium, you can wake them up a bit even a few days later... but I'm not sure how they behave on other surfaces.

http://www.saa.co.uk/artmaterials/atelier-interactive-acrylic-paints-2399.html

Here's the thread where I first saw them outed:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=131600&highlight=interactive+acrylics

Last edited:
Excellent Ed, ta

Ha, just seen that i posted on that thread too...in one ear, out the other....!

Last edited:
Woody- there's been a nice and amenable adult GND in the dyke at Reculver last few days, if you are having any Kentish outings at the w/e.

Would that I had the time Ed! With Christmas fast approaching 'The Overseer' seems able to find endless shops that simply have to be explored and someone has to go along to nod in the right places and carry the bags!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back