• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Endurance ED 8x25 vs a good 8x20? (1 Viewer)

Granpoli

Spain
Hello,
I've been using the small Endurance ED 8x25 for some time, it's quite good in image, I wanted to change to something smaller to be able to take it anywhere in a simple pocket, because I already have a bigger binocular, which by the way I usually use less, my idea It is a smaller 8x20... I think that of these models there are the Leica 8x20 and the Kowa 8x22..., in your opinion would it be worth the change? I remember that these two are more expensive than the one I have... yes yes... but will I gain in optical-mechanical quality... and hours of use?
Cheers,
Poli

Poli,

The Kowa is not much smaller and may be heavier than your Endurance so based on what you say I would not recommend the Kowa for you. Either the Leica UV or Trinovid 8x20 or SW Curio 7x21 is much smaller relatively speaking. The Kowa 8x22 also has a high MSRP price unlike other models in the Genesis line which are priced very well for the quality. The standard advice is to try the different models and compare them yourself if you can.

IMO yes if you will be using smaller binoculars more often, it is worth it to pay for a higher quality model as you will get better optical and mechanical quality and may wind up using them even more often.

Between the Curio, UV and Trinovid, the excellent Trinovid is less expensive and even smaller so they may be best for you if you want to save some money and go as small as possible.

Below is a post from a member who compared the Kowa with the Curio for some more info:

I think it depends on what is most important to you.

Both instruments are well built and very nicely finished.

The Curio is clearly more pocketable and optically superb. I find its overall performance excellent, considering the small size.

The Kowa is a bit larger, optically very good as well, and it has more AFOV.

Two issues (which might be personal ones and not applicable to everyone):

• I have more trouble finding the right eye placement behind the exit pupil with the Kowa than with the Curio
  • With the Kowa, having focused on an object, I frequently experience the need to refocus again

Both binos will find their fans. You have to try them out in order to know which one is for you.

Hope this helps with your choice.

Mike

I tried the Leica and Zeiss binos and ended up buying the Swarovski 10x25 CL Pocket Mountain binos. These in their carry case will fit inside a water bottle pocket or normal jacket pocket and they weigh only 12.4 ounces. The carry case has a belt loop that attaches with a Velcro strap. I have 13 pairs of binos and these are the ones I use the most as they are the most convenient to carry around while hiking or doing outdoor photography.

25mm objective lens area of 490 sq mm gain of 56% over 20mm objective lens, which is considerable in terms of light transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back