• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Entoloma cetratum? (1 Viewer)

checklg said:
This is growing in Holyrood Park, Edinburgh, near an increasingly ex Elm Tree. The only thing that I was able to find in my Collins guide that looked a bit like it was Entoloma cetratum, but from other photographs I've found I don't think it's that.

http://www.pbase.com/grahamcheckley/image/69597296

Any ideas?

Regards,
Graham.

Hello Graham.

That's no Entoloma. (They have pink gills for a start.) That is a Psathyrella. It is a little bit like P. multipedata but IMO it does not look like that species. Psathyrella tend to be brittle, have white stems, brown gills, and sometimes the caps change colour as they dry. They often grow in large numbers as per your photo. Alan might be a bit more informative.

BTW t'is a wee bit chilly down here in Southern England. It must be brass monkeys in Scotland.

Leif

Leif said:
Hello Graham.

That's no Entoloma. (They have pink gills for a start.) That is a Psathyrella. It is a little bit like P. multipedata but IMO it does not look like that species. Psathyrella tend to be brittle, have white stems, brown gills, and sometimes the caps change colour as they dry. They often grow in large numbers as per your photo. Alan might be a bit more informative.

BTW t'is a wee bit chilly down here in Southern England. It must be brass monkeys in Scotland.

Leif

As Leif says, it is a Psathyrella. My guess is that it is Psathyrella microrrhiza. This is quite common up here on woody debris or wood chip paths, has a well developed veil around the edge of the cap, as shown in your photographs, and is one of the group with a pink edge to the gills. It is not a species I would name for certain without a microscope, but I know it well enough to be pretty confident in suggesting the name.

And yes, I had to de-ice the car this morning.

Alan

Thanks to both of you for your help with this.

Edinburgh has been a bit cold, but some nice sunshine! I wont complain.

Regards and thanks,
Graham.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back