• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eos 1d mk4 memory card capacity (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
Having just enquired about purchasing an SD memory card for my Eos 1 mk4 I was advised that the maximum capacity I could use would be 32GB.
I see Sandisk now have a SD card with a transfer rate of (upto) 280 mb/s but once again I believe this is not compatible.
I was however hoping to purchase the 64 GB Sandisk Extreme pro 95mb/s so would appreciate any feedback if the SD card is indeed limited to 32GB as I cannot see this mentioned in the manual.
If this is indeed the case does any such limit apply to the Compact Flash card and if so what is the limit with this ?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Although I used to have a 1D4 I never found the need for cards larger than 32GB.
One thing to note is that the CF slot on the 1D4 is significantly faster than the SD slot so I would concentrate your funds on CF cards.
By today's standards thr 1D4 is not very demanding on card speed with the Transcend 400X cards performing pretty well. For a bit more speed the Transcend 600X cards are a little better and the Lexar 1000x the fastest that I have tried. The differences are not huge though. In more recent cameras (eg my 1DX) the Transcend 400X seems very pedestrian and the 600x not a great deal better - the Lexar 1000X/1066X are about as good as it gets.
For your 1D4 I wouldn't wast money on the latest high spec cards - a good 600X or better card from Transcend/Lexar/Sandisk will get the most from it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back