• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

I wish I had gone now, but I just wanted to sleep this morning

Always a conundrum on a Sunday. ;) 'Fortunately' I tend to be an early morning person so am usually awake and up by 5-6am (I woke around 4 this morning I think).

Not much on the river after lunch when the weather cleared up, mainly because it was packed with canoeists doing a race! I did find a Grey Wagtail at the Records Office sluice though and on the way back after the race was over I found a single Little Grebe, Green Woodpecker and on the wires over the meads one Meadow Pipit (unless it was an Olive-backed :-O). There were also a pair of Mute Swans, a few Mallard and some Moorhens, plus assorted Woodpigeons, Gulls and a few dragonflies (hawkers but they were zipping about against the bright sky so couldn't hazard a guess as to species).

Obliging Kestrel yesterday at Blue House Farm, shame the light wasn't better. She failed to get anything after diving into the reeds (see pic).

Also had 5 Buzzards and a Peregrine over the fields from my dads garden yesterday in South Woodham Ferrers.

Attachments

• IMG_3152.jpg
    IMG_3152.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 40
Always a conundrum on a Sunday. ;) 'Fortunately' I tend to be an early morning person so am usually awake and up by 5-6am (I woke around 4 this morning I think).

Not much on the river after lunch when the weather cleared up, mainly because it was packed with canoeists doing a race! I did find a Grey Wagtail at the Records Office sluice though and on the way back after the race was over I found a single Little Grebe, Green Woodpecker and on the wires over the meads one Meadow Pipit (unless it was an Olive-backed :-O). There were also a pair of Mute Swans, a few Mallard and some Moorhens, plus assorted Woodpigeons, Gulls and a few dragonflies (hawkers but they were zipping about against the bright sky so couldn't hazard a guess as to species).

Iv been looking out for that Grey Wagtail all week by the Sluice, Seems a resident in that area seen him or her there a few times before plus another by Wilkinson's but that could of been that bird.

They do tend to hang out at that sluice, a pair bred there a few years ago and last year a male staked out the sluice and sung from a high perch through the summer but I never saw him with a mate. He kept displaying to the car wing mirrors in the carparks and on the environment agency vans.

They do tend to hang out at that sluice, a pair bred there a few years ago and last year a male staked out the sluice and sung from a high perch through the summer but I never saw him with a mate. He kept displaying to the car wing mirrors in the carparks and on the environment agency vans.

I will keep my eyes peeled. :)

Considering how much Koi's are im not sure I would be to pleased if it was on my pond, there lovely birds but can't have them eating hundred's of ponds of fish.

Are we talking Grey wagtails here, I would have thought even the hungriest grey wagtail would struggle to eat hundreds of pounds of fish!

Maldon prom and Limbounrne Creek this morning. Lots of wintering birds starting to arrive..A nice variety.

High Lights being - 60-70 Avocet, 100+ Golden Plover, 7 Little Egret, few nice Pochard, 1 marsh harrier and a single snipe. Other birds include; Corn bunting, 30-40 Goldfinch, Lesser black backed Gull, Teal, Wigeon, 40+ Lapwing, 10 meadow Pipit, 6 Brent Geese, few Redshank and 3 Kestral.

A Yellow-browed Warbler in Colchester Cemetery this morning was a nice surprise although couldn't find it again this afternoon. It's a fine place, if only it was on the coast.
I notice Ring Ouzel reported in Colchester too this morning, I must be the only person who hasn't seen one this last few days.

Phil

I watched the Parrot Crossbills fly off (north-west wards) from Mess Road towards the building site around 11.40ish (calling frequently). I thought they may have come down in the pines there, but I couldn't be sure that they even stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back