• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Ethical' binocular companies (4 Viewers)

Thanks LT for that clarification :)

I still have conflicted personal feelings about eating meat. I tried to be a Vegetarian twice, but I felt like garbage on the diet. I am a low energy person to begin with (and have my own health issues) and eating no meat made me feel sickly over time. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I tried twice and gave up. Some people can do it and I've known people who are healthy and vegan for many years. But, for me I just felt healthier when I went back to meat. I try not to over-do it and eat it when I feel I need to.

I don't like the idea of slaughterhouses and pretty sickened by the idea of millions of animals downed for our consumption per year, but our high human population is at the root of the problem (of over-consumption) and it's at the root of a lot of issues...but, that's another topic for Conservation threads.
I've been a Vegetarian since I was 5 years old and I'm now 63 years of age. I saw what went on in a slaughter house at a very young age, and that put me of meat and fish for the rest of my life. I won't go into the gruesome details of what happened in the animal slaughter house on here, as it wasn't very nice.
Ian.

I've been a Vegetarian since I was 5 years old and I'm now 63 years of age. I saw what went on in a slaughter house at a very young age, and that put me of meat and fish for the rest of my life. I won't go into the gruesome details of what happened in the animal slaughter house on here, as it wasn't very nice.
Ian.

I admire your conviction.

This is a good example of what I said earlier.

I challenge anyone who feels hunting is vulgar to hang out at a slaughter house, livestock or even chickens, it wont matter.

Then order up their chicken or beef dinner and not be changed.

We pay a price for being meat eaters, and most of the privileged class would benefit from eating a lot less of it. Growing up in a rural part of the country, I learned early on that your FFA projects ended up on the plate, and ending up on the plate was the only reason for raising them.

I admire your conviction.

This is a good example of what I said earlier.

We pay a price for being meat eaters, and most of the privileged class would benefit from eating a lot less of it. Growing up in a rural part of the country, I learned early on that your FFA projects ended up on the plate, and ending up on the plate was the only reason for raising them.

There is a school of thought over here that makes a lot of sense: eat less meat and when you do eat meat, get the best quality possible, raised to the highest animal welfare standards.

Lee

There is a school of thought over here that makes a lot of sense: eat less meat and when you do eat meat, get the best quality possible, raised to the highest animal welfare standards.

Lee

That sounds a lot like hunting to me, as you're likely to eat a lot less meat if you have to rustle it up yourself and the animals will have had the most natural life possible.

Lee

You bet, we try to utilize cuts of meat that are less wanted as well.

Oh boy, I get it now, you guys are all saints in disguise o:)

Actually I'll buy what you are saying there, sounds like a good philosophy.

But I don't think I will be running down to the shops to buy a Remington long gun any time soon.

Lee

Oh boy, I get it now, you guys are all saints in disguise o:)

Actually I'll buy what you are saying there, sounds like a good philosophy.

But I don't think I will be running down to the shops to buy a Remington long gun any time soon.

Lee

Finally, someone who understands me. 3:)

Truthfully a lot of people hunt for a lot of different reasons. I have seen examples of some very callous hunters, and I have seen some display a lot of compassion for the animals they kill. But there are very different cultures at play. Very few value all living things as much as they value all cute living things.

By the way, skirt steak is smokin good.

Lee,
The only Remington I have bought in the shops here have been electric ones.
They were all right in the 1950s, U.S. made, but I don't think any good nowadays. They cut my skin.

Good thought-provoking thread. Maybe it's just about who cares about the environment and surely, as birders, we all do but have different interpretations on how to get to our desired destination. I accept that financial considerations are primary for any business but I hope optics firms have an eye on the planet too or is that wishful thinking? Like many posters I don't feel a strong affinity with hunting but I eat meat so don't feel in any position to judge. Much more uncomfortable with individuals and organisations that ('which' is okay too, Lee, as it's a restrictive relative clause - sorry for obscure point, folks) put greed before mother earth. Where I come unstuck is I don't always know what's best. As a rule, though, if the birds are benefitting, chances are something's right. Lots of emotions flying around this discussion but I'm grateful to all posters for making me realise that nothing's simple. Cheers.

Good thought-provoking thread. Maybe it's just about who cares about the environment and surely, as birders, we all do but have different interpretations on how to get to our desired destination. I accept that financial considerations are primary for any business but I hope optics firms have an eye on the planet too or is that wishful thinking? Like many posters I don't feel a strong affinity with hunting but I eat meat so don't feel in any position to judge. Much more uncomfortable with individuals and organisations that ('which' is okay too, Lee, as it's a restrictive relative clause - sorry for obscure point, folks) put greed before mother earth. Where I come unstuck is I don't always know what's best. As a rule, though, if the birds are benefitting, chances are something's right. Lots of emotions flying around this discussion but I'm grateful to all posters for making me realise that nothing's simple. Cheers.

Thank you for posting, I do believe the thread is a good one, even though it can be uncomfortable at times

Here is another look at the question of being an "ethical" binocular company.

One of the largest optical companies, Nikon advertises to this day about using Ecoglass
in their binoculars. Ecoglass is glass that does not contain lead, in the mfr. process.

Lead is a known health hazard, and disposal of contaminants is more costly.

Most all companies supply optics for all users, most advertise to both hunters and nature lovers.

It is just that simple.

Jerry

That sounds a lot like hunting to me, as you're likely to eat a lot less meat if you have to rustle it up yourself and the animals will have had the most natural life possible.

Perhaps the best Kielbasa (locally pronounced kah-bossi') I have ever eaten here in NE Pennsylvania has been made with venison and this area with its large Polish and Slovak population is famous for its Kielbasa. You can't make venison Kielbasa to sell to the public though.

It goes good with this B :).

Bob

Here is another look at the question of being an "ethical" binocular company.

One of the largest optical companies, Nikon advertises to this day about using Ecoglass
in their binoculars. Ecoglass is glass that does not contain lead, in the mfr. process.

Lead is a known health hazard, and disposal of contaminants is more costly.

Most all companies supply optics for all users, most advertise to both hunters and nature lovers.

It is just that simple.

Jerry

Good point Jerry,

I think the original Victory models from Zeiss that came out in about 2000 were the first non-lead models from Zeiss and the preceding Night Owls were the last leaded.

Lee

Genesis 1:26New International Version (NIV)

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

And we are to be responsible about it.

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

I wear a bracelet everyday with this inscribed ;)

Genesis 27:3
"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me; and take me some venison.

Lee,
The only Remington I have bought in the shops here have been electric ones.
They were all right in the 1950s, U.S. made, but I don't think any good nowadays. They cut my skin.

B
I wet shave these days, its a more restful ritual than using a buzzing box.
But when I was a rep out on the road early every day I also used a Remington Buzz Box. Remington Personal Care products can trace its history back via typewriters to firearms. Do you remember the old TV commercials for the razors: I liked it so much I bought the company?

Lee

A famous person once said: 'Love thy neighbours as thyself'.
IMHO these are the most important words ever spoken. And our neighbours are not just human beings but everything else that lives in this world.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back