• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

etiquette when using bird hides (2 Viewers)

I do birdwatch nearly from Barclona, on some lagoons and a beach.
Problem, lots of people go to the beach with their dogs.
I once saw two persons, walking the dog, into the fenced (is it correct?) dune area where Kentish Plover breeds |=@|:storm:

the hides i go to all i can hear is AF confirms beeping and shutters firing ... the days of the rustle of a sandwich wrapper and a murmer of "blackwits just flew in over in the corner" are long gone ...

And for the above reason I no longer go in hides. The camera dudes spoilt birding long ago.

I'd suggest that poorly behaved dogs and children who don't want to be there probably shouldn't be taken.

Worst case of the former was someone had a big chocolate brown labrador near to the hide, it not only ran infront of the hide it then proceded to jump up and climb through the viewing windows pester everyone then go back out the way it came, before coming back in when its owner caught up.

Children who don't want to be there will clearly be bored out of their minds and begin to fidget, be noisy or if young enough just start crying. None of which are that helpful.

That being said well behaved dogs and children who want to be there are fine - a lady at the Welsh Harp had two little dogs which just sat down and didn't make a sound until everyone left and interested children usually fall into the newbie category earlier or occassionally seem to know a lot more about things and have better equiptment than me. You can tell whose parents have a bit of money to spare... But having said that, usually I'm probably the youngest person in a hide by 35-30 years at least, possibly sometimes raising to 50+ - children aren't that common unless its a big well known reserve or happens to be on a public footpath.

Tell you what gets my goat. When a party of birders who all come together (invariably old people on a bus trip) have finished in a hide and are ready to move on to the next hide they then care not one jot about the people they will leave in the hide and begin shouting and balling at each other about next years holiday or uncle john's operation. They then leave the hide in as roudy and irritating way possible and usually slam the door behind them. Then cos they want to see birds in the next hide they enter quietly and the cycle continues. You all know who you are. You should be banned from reserves.

Lol. My sentiments entirely. And these types are the ones who always harp on about how ill mannered and irresponsible the younger generation are today. Bloody hypocrites!

Si.

Lol. My sentiments entirely. And these types are the ones who always harp on about how ill mannered and irresponsible the younger generation are today. Bloody hypocrites!

Si.

There are many people who think you can be as loud, crashing and shouty as you want walking up to a hide, but once inside you can't even talk above the tiniest, tiniest whisper.

At last, my Dutch lessons have come in useful! B :)

That's great!

For some time I've been thinking to translate my comics in English, but I never seem to get round to it. Anyway, if I get a response like yours, my day is good.

Cheers! B :) B :) B :)

Ronald

Of course "The Resident" is usually plural and plan to sit in the hide (Noah's, Somerset Levels) all day; "why should anyone else have a chance to sit down and look at MY birds?" after all "I am here, first, every day!"

Just once, I would like a "Resident" to say, "Getting a bit crowded in here mate, let me move up/move out and let you have a seat. I've been looking at/photographing the ***** for three days now and frankly I've seen it all.

Ah! The delightful sound of a nail being hit squarely on the head ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back