• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Blackbirds? (1 Viewer)

Hi there, this is my first post on here and I'm relatively inexperienced so I hope this isn't a silly question. I spotted around 6 of these birds on the ground foraging together in a coastal field. The dark chocolate brown colour caught my eye and the fact that they seemed larger than the average Eurasian Blackbird. There was a hooded crow close by and they were only slightly smaller than it was. The beak in one of the photos also seemed larger than a blackbird. Maybe simply Eurasian Blackbirds but I just thought I'd get some more opinions. Apologies for the poor quality but I couldn't get any closer IMG_7087.jpegIMG_2007.jpegIMG_2006.jpeg

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

They certainly look like blackbirds.

Hi Deborah and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Yes, they are definitely Blackbirds, sizing birds is always very tricky actually.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

There is something very un-Blackbird about thede pics to my eye although I cannot offer an alternative. The bird sees Bulky? Black heavy bill? Six usually territorial birds foraging together?

Did any of the male birds support a bright yellow bill?

Probably just me but ................

Last edited:
There is something very un-Blackbird about thede pics to my eye although I cannot offer an alternative. The bird sees Bulky? Black heavy bill? Six usually territorial birds foraging together?

Did any of the male birds support a bright yellow bill?

Probably just me but ................
Female blackbirds are less territorial and more sociable during the winter.

Last edited:
I didn't notice a yellow bill but apparently young males can have a dark bill for a while. I didn't know that. It was the heavy bill that threw me too but yes, it could be soil stuck to it I suppose. Thanks for all the responses. Very interesting. I'll have to go back and try and get some better photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back