• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Mountain Birds (1 Viewer)

Yes. There’s no way I’m doing one of the naturetrek Swiss tours. But I do really enjoy birding with someone who has local knowledge

I'm hoping in the next few years to try and see a bunch of European Mountain species.

Wallcreeper, Alpine Chough, Nutcracker, Alpine Accentor, Citril Finch, White Winged Snow Finch and Lammergeier being the main ones.

I've noticed that Naturetrek do a few Swiss plant and butterfly trips based in Wengen that have most of them on the trip lists ( except Wallcreeper but I'm hoping to try romania next year and Lammergeier being a little erratic and obviously introduced anyway) which crucially say that the trips will all be done using cable cars and rail. As a teacher none of the trips work for me date wise and they obviously aren't bird focused anyway (although I'd also love the butterflies) but I wondered if anyone had any experience of looking for these species in Switzerland using public transport and how realistic it would be and how easy it would be to just replicate it privately.

If anyone has any alternative locations that would also be great, I'm limited to school holidays

Alpine Chough is almost on each peak, more like you want if you have food.
Wallcreeper is possible near lift of Karwendel Spitze. Nutcracker is not difficult in Alps.
Alpine Accentor and Snow Finch also at Karwendelspitze.
Lammergeier very high chance in valley of Rauris in Austria.

I'm hoping in the next few years to try and see a bunch of European Mountain species.

Wallcreeper, Alpine Chough, Nutcracker, Alpine Accentor, Citril Finch, White Winged Snow Finch and Lammergeier being the main ones.

I've noticed that Naturetrek do a few Swiss plant and butterfly trips based in Wengen that have most of them on the trip lists ( except Wallcreeper but I'm hoping to try romania next year and Lammergeier being a little erratic and obviously introduced anyway) which crucially say that the trips will all be done using cable cars and rail. As a teacher none of the trips work for me date wise and they obviously aren't bird focused anyway (although I'd also love the butterflies) but I wondered if anyone had any experience of looking for these species in Switzerland using public transport and how realistic it would be and how easy it would be to just replicate it privately.

If anyone has any alternative locations that would also be great, I'm limited to school holidays

Look for
ornitho.ch
ornitho.fr
ornitho.de
ornitho.at

How report this birds and contact them.

Citril Finch is more a little bit west located.
Most east place in Germany is south of Lenggries at Moosenalm at mountain Schafreuther.

For Lammergeier you need exact location to make sure to find.
Same for wallcreeper.

All the others are easy to find.

While on a 10 day botanical trip based in Wengen last June we saw snowfinch on Mannlichen peak and above Grimmelwald, Chough everywhere and a party hiking the Eiger trail near the Schilthorn station saw Alpine Accentor. I saw the Nutcracker one day from my hotel balcony on a nearby tree. The others were not seen and I believe were improbably in that immediate area, I would look at ornitho.ch for recent sightings.The transportation in this area is a breeze without a car, highly recommended, and the quiet is wonderful for hearing and experiencing birds, but other than particular species they are rare in the high alpine meadows.

Lammergeier almost 100 % chance in valley Rauris Tal nationpark Hohe Tauern in Austria.

Wallcreeper, Alpine Chough, Nutcracker, Alpine Accentor, White Winged Snow Finch are also on Karwendelspitze in Bavarian.
Wallcreeper is there but not always a chance.
There is a lift up or alpine hike up an stay in huts.

Citril Finch I would look at Wank area where is also a lift and an easy hike.

Vultures seen also in this area from time to time, but much lower chance than nationapark Hohe Tauern.

Thank you, yeah I'd imagine it's not cheap, I'm always a little nervous about hiring a car, especially for mountain driving but Switzerland is probably as safe a place as you're going to get.
Austria is safest place for care driving in Central Europe.
Aggressive driving like Germany is rare in Austria.

Lammergeier almost 100 % chance in valley Rauris Tal nationpark Hohe Tauern in Austria.

Wallcreeper, Alpine Chough, Nutcracker, Alpine Accentor, White Winged Snow Finch are also on Karwendelspitze in Bavarian.
Wallcreeper is there but not always a chance.
There is a lift up or alpine hike up an stay in huts.

Citril Finch I would look at Wank area where is also a lift and an easy hike.

Vultures seen also in this area from time to time, but much lower chance than nationapark Hohe Tauern.
I´d avoid the Wank area.....😅....

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back