• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Pied or Collard Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

Gunner92

Hi,

would need some help with the identification of the young flycatcher in the pictures.

shot: Hohenau / Austria

Many thanks for any input

Attachments

• IMG_4536.JPG
    IMG_4536.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4546.JPG
    IMG_4546.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 69
The primary patch strongly suggests Collared. Can't recall if the tertial/tail pattern is a match - and my the time I've looked it up, someone will have nailed it!

@Jane Turner: "- and my the time I've looked it up, someone will have nailed it!"

I´m sorry my English isn´t that good |8(| could you explain what you mean by "someone will have nailed it!"

in my opinion too. adult female collared. greyish cast to neck, lots of white on outer primary bases (which in a very few pied comes close) and tertials (more than half of outer sides) and it's bit early for pieds to get spread around.

Shouldn't that rump be paler on a Collared?

Edit: just noticed pic1 shows the rump best, and there's a paler area. That should be enough for a Collared.

With that primary pannel it certainly looks like a Collared.

Yet, despite clear sing of wear to the tail and flight feathers I don't think the bird is adult. Isn't it more likely to be a 1cy with such a neat step on the fringing of the middle tertial? Also the primary coverts look rather pointed (at least the outer ones).

With that primary pannel it certainly looks like a Collared.

Yet, despite clear sing of wear to the tail and flight feathers I don't think the bird is adult. Isn't it more likely to be a 1cy with such a neat step on the fringing of the middle tertial? Also the primary coverts look rather pointed (at least the outer ones).

might the tertials (maybe only upper two) not be already renewed like the outermost 3 secondary greater coverts (yellowish fringes)? to me strong wear in rectrices tips indicates this has bird has bred (in a narrow nest hole) and thus being an adult female.

might the tertials (maybe only upper two) not be already renewed like the outermost 3 secondary greater coverts (yellowish fringes)? to me strong wear in rectrices tips indicates this has bird has bred (in a narrow nest hole) and thus being an adult female.

Lou,

When I opened the pics I thought the same: such a worn bird can only be an adult (2cy+), especially at this time of the year.

But if one analyses the plumage pattern, all the elements point towards a 1cy bird, namely:

- steep step on tertial fringing (the tertials are way too fresh to be one year old and anyway all birds have a pre-breeding moult that normally includes the tertials), see: http://birdingfrontiers.com/2010/08/18/pied-flycatcher/pied-fly-1-2-labelled-2/
The bird used as an example in birding frontiers is of course a Pied. But AFAIK, this features works with all 3 species of black and white Ficedula and is diagnostic.

- it's mostly the outer tail feathers that are worn, the central pairs are in better condition and they are pointed (= juv)

- the outer greater coverts you mention have indeed buffish fringes, which is a further point in favour of 1cy bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back