• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excited about my new barn resident..... (1 Viewer)

msherring

Good Morning everyone;

I had to join this site to tell someone about my new discovery....I found a lovely big owl roosting in the peak of an old barn on the property where I live in Abbotsford, B.C. I am so thrilled to have this new tenant....and need to know what to do to encourage him/her to make this a permanent home....find a mate and live happily ever after....any input would be welcome....Meg

Hello msherring and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at Birdforum :t:

The best advice I can give you is to do as little as possible and keep the interference minimal. If not, the owl is likely to move on. I'd be just as excited if I was as fortunate ;)

KCFoggin said:
Hello msherring and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at Birdforum :t:

The best advice I can give you is to do as little as possible and keep the interference minimal. If not, the owl is likely to move on. I'd be just as excited if I was as fortunate ;)

Good advice from, KCF.

Just leave well alone and try not to disturb.

At this stage he/she may be just looking.

It's surprising how many owls will neglect ideal nesting locations...ideal in my eye's...but not owls..obviously!

Just keep clear.

John.

You're so correct....

Hi - I want to go back out to the barn - but have been curbing my enthusiasm....won't go til tomorrow....will take binoculas with me....to get closer look....at face. She/He's been there awhile as there is about 20 little packages on the floor. Logged onto this forum so I could just tell someone....made my day for sure....thanks for your input. Meg

john barclay said:
Good advice from, KCF.

Just leave well alone and try not to disturb.

At this stage he/she may be just looking.

It's surprising how many owls will neglect ideal nesting locations...ideal in my eye's...but not owls..obviously!

Just keep clear.

John.

Meg: welcome to BF!

Your new resident sounds exciting! Please do follow KC's solid advice and perhaps the owl will stick around.

The "little packages" you mention are probably pellets -- owls regurgitate the undigestible parts of their food: bones, etc.

But please do keep us posted?

Do Barn Owls range that far north?

not sure what kinda owl it is....

He/She's sitting perched up in the very top peak of the barn and I didn't want to go too close... especially since my dog was with me. Owl never moved - just looooooked down on us. Its a big one. I'm thinking about 20 inches from head to tail.... Tomorrow I will go out and up quietly (leaving the bouncing dog in the house), with my binoculars and see if I can figure out more....I have been out in the barn on a regular basis - about once a day to feed some orphoned kittens....down on the main floor, aside from the kittens the barn has been empty off and on for years....mostly empty...except this summer it got a new roof and siding....bright red and silver....maybe it is more Owl habitable now that its had a face lift....the Owl must have been there or close by through most of this commotion....maybe its not a barn owl but some other???? I'll write again when I figure more out.... Megs

Beverlybaynes said:
Meg: welcome to BF!

Your new resident sounds exciting! Please do follow KC's solid advice and perhaps the owl will stick around.

The "little packages" you mention are probably pellets -- owls regurgitate the undigestible parts of their food: bones, etc.

But please do keep us posted?

Do Barn Owls range that far north?

Once you get a good look at the owl through the binoculars, try doing a google search for Owls and also try searching in our Gallery with the key word "owl" and hopefully you can match up one of the pics with what you are seeing. Good luck and let us know once you've figured it out.

msherring said:
empty...except this summer it got a new roof and siding....bright red and silver....maybe it is more Owl habitable now.... Megs
Hmm. That sounds like corrugated iron or steel sheeting. Is the barn lined ? If it's unlined metal, I'd guess it could get far too hot in summer. Some other materials are little better. Remember the roof space will get far hotter than at ground level.

If it's not going to get too hot, and is a barn owl (our's are creamy white with beautiful speckling on their back, but yours may be quite a bit darker), I would consider putting up a box. I have done this successfully for barn owl where they had started to roost even though there is a busy workshop through the wall. Stick to your normal routine and the owl will probably continue to tolerate you.

Mike.

msherring said:
....I have been out in the barn on a regular basis - about once a day to feed some orphoned kittens....down on the main floor, aside from the kittens the barn has been empty off and on for years.... Megs

Hi Megs

Welcome to BF - have you managed to identify the owl yet?

(whatever kind it is, I hope he's not thinking he's gonna have live kitten for dinner! )

Good luck - keep us posted

Deborah

Put up a Breeding Box???? It looks Like a Barn Owl....

Hi Everyone - In answer to a few of your queries - It doesn't get too hot here...I'm only about 40K east of Vancouver....fairly temperate area.... so I hope barn will continue to be OK for my new Owl....roof and siding were put directly on top of old shingles and board siding - there is still alot of ventilation holes - windows up in the loft area...so hope it will all work out Ok.

You mentioned you had experience with breeding boxes - where would I look to find out exact info... how big, how high up, etc.....I sure would appreciate knowing more. Didn't have alot of luck on Google - maybe I just didn't get to the right site....

I carried some hay up to the loft (about a 1/4 bale) when I went in yesterday (thinking Owl might like some???....... Owl seemed undisturbed by my visit.....and more pellets on the floor under roosting area....so Owl is eating well....I am overrun with furry little creatures out here so the hunting should be easy - I may end up with a fat Owl....

The kittens are safe for now as Owl can't get to the main floor - at least I don't think so...would they navigate a flight of closed in stairs???

Well I best get off here before I drive everyone crazy with my questions.

thanks to everyone..... Meg

citrinella said:
Hmm. That sounds like corrugated iron or steel sheeting. Is the barn lined ? If it's unlined metal, I'd guess it could get far too hot in summer. Some other materials are little better. Remember the roof space will get far hotter than at ground level.

If it's not going to get too hot, and is a barn owl (our's are creamy white with beautiful speckling on their back, but yours may be quite a bit darker), I would consider putting up a box. I have done this successfully for barn owl where they had started to roost even though there is a busy workshop through the wall. Stick to your normal routine and the owl will probably continue to tolerate you.

Mike.

Hi Meg,

msherring said:
Hi Everyone - In answer to a few of your queries - It doesn't get too hot here...I'm only about 40K east of Vancouver....fairly temperate area.... so I hope barn will continue to be OK for my new Owl....roof and siding were put directly on top of old shingles and board siding - there is still alot of ventilation holes - windows up in the loft area...so hope it will all work out Ok.
Hmm. Sounds OK, well ventilated and lined with the old wood. However, I live about 40k east of Edinburgh - a long way north of you, almost at the latitude of Anchorage in Alaska, and we have a maritime climate. While it may only be low 20s Celsius in the shade, it can be stifling under a tin roof. Worst job I ever had was painting the steel beams supporting a tin roof in a hay shed, and it had an open front. Hot !

msherring said:
You mentioned you had experience with breeding boxes - where would I look to find out exact info... how big, how high up, etc.....I sure would appreciate knowing more. Didn't have alot of luck on Google - maybe I just didn't get to the right site.... I carried some hay up to the loft (about a 1/4 bale) when I went in yesterday (thinking Owl might like some???.......

http://www.owlpages.com/links.php?cat=Owls-Nest+Boxes

We use a box roughly 0.7m each way, with a hole 0.15m square near a top corner with a small landing platform. The lid comes off for access. Ours don't line the box at all (the hay would be wasted) - unless you count pellets and muck which build up to quite a depth over the years.

Try to position a box a safe distance off the floor as close as possible to where the owl is roosting. It doesn't have to be particularly high, in trees here they nest mainly between 2.5m and 5m up. If you can keep it lower from the roof - especially down where there is plenty ventilation - you might eliminate any slim chance of the nest getting too hot.

msherring said:
Owl seemed undisturbed by my visit.....and more pellets on the floor under roosting area....so Owl is eating well....I am overrun with furry little creatures out here so the hunting should be easy - I may end up with a fat Owl....
Excellent :) Seems very likely to stay and, if it can fins a mate, use a box.

msherring said:
The kittens are safe for now as Owl can't get to the main floor - at least I don't think so...would they navigate a flight of closed in stairs???
I think a barn owl won't attack something as big as a kitten, but the kittens will take some of it's potential food - you are providing unwelcome competition, good job you're not up against WalMart !

msherring said:
Well I best get off here before I drive everyone crazy with my questions.
Meg
Not me :) When I went to visit a Malawian friend, after two days he said to me "I'm sorry Mike, even I have never asked these questions !"

You might also find
http://www.bto.org/survey/bomp/
interesting.

I help (four nest this summer). If I mind right, the latest figures show the survey covers c.950 nests out of estimated UK total 4500 (the latter is almost certainly an underestimate as they are recovering quite rapidly at the moment).

Good luck :-0
Mike.

you are a wonder.....again, thanks so very much for your help....

Hi Mike, Well, I went to the site "Owlpages" and it was so great....I am starting to feel like I can learn enough about this little creature to keep it happy.

I've only lived out here in rural land for about a year and it has been a great enjoyment. Every day outside early to walk around and see whats up. The herons enjoy my fish pond - they only take the bigger fish, the ducks fly from pond to pond and seem to paddle about in the swampy areas. The coyotes are a worry - but still interesting to observe thier routes. The frogs need to be thrown back into the creek (from the fish pond) most every morning...the fun part is catching them....drives the dog mad....the kittens are growing quickly (ferel - and will soon dispurse to local dairy farms),and now I have an Owl - so fine.

I think I can build the nest box myself, won't be pretty but will be sturdy and secure. Guess the box needs to be there before a mate will join in the plan....There was a nest box diagram that showed a long nest box situated partly inside and outside - attached to a window opening...that might solve the summer time "too hot" problem??? I'll mull it over for awhile and keep reading - may find out more before I start to build.

I am overrun with mice, voles, packrats, moles - a great list of rodents - partly because next door is a pigeon farmer/breeder (supplying the oriental market) - and I've been told that whenever there is a 'bird' operation they have so much feed (seed and pellets) about that the rodent population really explodes....hopefully Owl will help me get control of the rodents here....Owl is welcome to them all...

Have you and yours been bird lovers forever...its all very new to me and very fascinating...although I've had parrots as pets and currently have a little love bird, Lulu, who's with me and my dog most of the time. She rides in my pocket , or chooses to hang onto Wimsey's collar and ride about that way.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me get on track. Have a great day. Meg

citrinella said:
Hi Meg,

Hmm. Sounds OK, well ventilated and lined with the old wood. However, I live about 40k east of Edinburgh - a long way north of you, almost at the latitude of Anchorage in Alaska, and we have a maritime climate. While it may only be low 20s Celsius in the shade, it can be stifling under a tin roof. Worst job I ever had was painting the steel beams supporting a tin roof in a hay shed, and it had an open front. Hot !

http://www.owlpages.com/links.php?cat=Owls-Nest+Boxes

We use a box roughly 0.7m each way, with a hole 0.15m square near a top corner with a small landing platform. The lid comes off for access. Ours don't line the box at all (the hay would be wasted) - unless you count pellets and muck which build up to quite a depth over the years.

Try to position a box a safe distance off the floor as close as possible to where the owl is roosting. It doesn't have to be particularly high, in trees here they nest mainly between 2.5m and 5m up. If you can keep it lower from the roof - especially down where there is plenty ventilation - you might eliminate any slim chance of the nest getting too hot.

Excellent :) Seems very likely to stay and, if it can fins a mate, use a box.

I think a barn owl won't attack something as big as a kitten, but the kittens will take some of it's potential food - you are providing unwelcome competition, good job you're not up against WalMart !

Not me :) When I went to visit a Malawian friend, after two days he said to me "I'm sorry Mike, even I have never asked these questions !"

You might also find
http://www.bto.org/survey/bomp/
interesting.

I help (four nest this summer). If I mind right, the latest figures show the survey covers c.950 nests out of estimated UK total 4500 (the latter is almost certainly an underestimate as they are recovering quite rapidly at the moment).

Good luck :-0
Mike.

You wanted an owl box...I have just given one away :-C

Never mind, think of the postage :-O

Hope your owls stay. What species are they?

John.

msherring said:
I've only lived out here in rural land for about a year and it has been a great enjoyment. Every day outside early to walk around and see whats up. The herons enjoy my fish pond - they only take the bigger fish, the ducks fly from pond to pond and seem to paddle about in the swampy areas. The coyotes are a worry - but still interesting to observe thier routes. The frogs need to be thrown back into the creek (from the fish pond) most every morning...the fun part is catching them....drives the dog mad....the kittens are growing quickly (ferel - and will soon dispurse to local dairy farms),and now I have an Owl - so fine.
Hope rural life suits you :) Most urban folk I know cannot adjust permanently.

Glad you can accept the coyote. We need to adjust to nature, not expect nature to adjust to us (see the endless moans about sparrohawks in the Garden Feed forum). We have foxes. Yes, they can take hens. Yes, they take ground nesting birds. They also take rabbits, rats, carrion and anything else they can get. They are beautiful animals and great to observe. We need to take measures to minimize impact (fence the hens in at night) rather than exterminate. OK, sometimes one individual gets too clever, too destructive.

What about coyote ? Are they pack animals or individualists like foxes ?

msherring said:
I think I can build the nest box myself, won't be pretty but will be sturdy and secure. Guess the box needs to be there before a mate will join in the plan....There was a nest box diagram that showed a long nest box situated partly inside and outside - attached to a window opening...that might solve the summer time "too hot" problem??? I'll mull it over for awhile and keep reading - may find out more before I start to build.
Sounds like you'll end up with a good solution :)

msherring said:
I am overrun with mice, voles, packrats, moles - a great list of rodents - partly because next door is a pigeon farmer/breeder (supplying the oriental market) - and I've been told that whenever there is a 'bird' operation they have so much feed (seed and pellets) about that the rodent population really explodes....hopefully Owl will help me get control of the rodents here....Owl is welcome to them all...
Brilliant :) I feed wild birds ad lib on the ground. Much of the c.3 tonnes I use each winter goes to rats, mice, voles, rabbits, corvids, pigeons, pheasants ... undesirable characters all ;-) However, I get buzzard, kestrel, barn and tawny owl after the rodents (mainly). A female sparrowhawk gets pigeons regularly. All good stuff. Mitigation tactic is that the bulk of the feeding is well away from buildings so that I don't get too much trouble with rodents.

msherring said:
Have you and yours been bird lovers forever...
Good question ! I thought my mother got me interested. She says I got her interested. Maybe it was my Dad, though he wasn't much bothered himself. I used to love walking the farm with him, and even then I couldn't stop asking questions. I remember coming the the railway crossing one day and putting up a grey partridge that ran away trailing a wing. "Oh Dad - it's got a broken wing".

"Nah, it's alright, just leading us away from it's chicks".

It fled across the track not far in front of an express, which we waited for. We crossed and the partridge was waiting, still trailing it's wing, away down the track.

"Oh Dad - it _has_ got a broken wing".

"Just wait, you'll see".

Sure enough, it soon burst away, back whence we had come.

I have had many similar experiences with grey partridge, and been amazed watching their peregrine avoidance. A bird I really admire, but so many others astonish me that I have no favourites (but a few un-likes!).

Enjoy yersel,
Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back