• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exiled in rural Denmark (1 Viewer)

Exiled

Hi

I am British but now live in gorgeous rural Denmark. We swapped our rural, lowland cottage in Snowdonia with all its birds and wildlife for flatter but more undulating countryside. There we had farm animals on the other side of the fence. Here it is all intensive arable farming and the animals are mostly kept indoors.

The difference in the varieties of birds was and still is quite startling. We counted over 70 types of bird just within our garden boundaries in North Wales. We left behind tame Robins, Dunnocks and Treecreepers. Goldcrests were nesting in the blackthorn thickets along with all the others which enjoyed our deliberately improved environment. We dug ponds [by hand ] in the marshy areas and planted hundreds of native trees on the spoil heaps and banks. Ancient apple trees were left standing and enjoyed by many birds.

Here in Denmark we have planted willows and oaks to supplement the existing mature plum, chestnut and birch trees. High hedges of Hawthorn, Blackthorn and willow varieties have been deliberately allowed to get away.

The bird varieties are different and the shy European Robin now rarely seen. My morning rural walks to the forest and along the edges of the willow marshes and ponds often throw up varieties which are not easily identified from previous experience. Particularly birds of prey and 'field' birds. Pheasants are probably more numerous than sparrows.

I joined the forum to get help with identification of rarities which my books and Google image searches cannot help with. I replaced my aging Zeiss 10x50 Jenoptem with a nice, light pair of Nikon 8x42. I carry an older Lumix TZ7 camera everywhere and blog about my cycling and daily walks. A DSLR with a long lens would arguably produce much better pictures but I really wouldn't want to carry it everywhere I go.

The attached [cropped and resized] image was taken only this morning and suggests a Trumpeter swan for its all black beak. We get thousands of Whoopers but they always have light patches on their beaks even as [semi-mature] juveniles like this one.

Then there was the pair of all-black birds of prey last week. I still haven't a clue about them. |^|

Attachments

• P1250877 rsz 500.JPG
    P1250877 rsz 500.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi and welcome to birdforum, we hope you enjoy the site and don't hesitate to join in where ever you fancy. An excellent introduction from yourself to the BF community, many thanks for that :t:
cheers,
Andy

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We’re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Feel free to post photos of your unknown birds in our Bird Identification section of the Forum ;) We've got quite a few geniuses in that dept.

Welcome to the forum,

I'm pretty sure your swan is an immature mute (bare skin between eye and bill)

cheers,
James

Hi James,

Thanks for the warm welcome and to the others too.

You are probably right. My initial Google search showed mostly pink beaks so I had quickly discounted the Mute. I had just enough time to confirm all black through my binoculars before it left the marsh pond in a hurry. The ducks always panic as I creep past this pond [very quietly] due to the frequent shooting.

Now I have searched more thoroughly there is quite some variation in beak colour amongst immature Mute swans. I shall have to be much more disciplined in my identification and turn down the wishful thinking control a smidgen. |;|

Thanks again

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Many thanks. I'm sure I will.

I have just discovered a new facet to bird watching:

Identify in haste.. repent at leisure. |:S|

Hello, just wanted to add one more welcome to the forum. Nice of you to join us.

Many thanks. I'm sure I will.

I have just discovered a new facet to bird watching:

Identify in haste.. repent at leisure. |:S|

As someone who also moved to a new country and took up birdwatching in earnest a year ago, believe me, I know all about that! The ID section is invaluable!

Chris

Hi Exiled and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back