• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experience- Review of Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

Hello Zoomfans:

the one or the other may have read my reviews of e.g. the Canon EF 400mm f / 4 DO IS USM or the Sigma 120-300 f 2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM. My latest lens now is the Sigma Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM. As with the articles mentioned above, this review really is a personal experience report.

As with the Canon EF 400mm f / 4 DO IS USM a diverse usability – especially when traveling – was in the foreground with the acquisition of the Canon 70-200 / 4.0 L IS USM. The lens should be lightweight. On the other hand, I work as a bird photographer who has specialized in photographing as many species of birds for scientific purposes, usually with long telephoto lenses and needed only a lens to close the gap on the lower site. There are also times when I am in the need to make shots or bird habitat or shoot images of birds, which come really close

Here is the field report http://www.bird-lens.com/2014/08/30/shooting-with-canon-ef-70-200mm-f4l-is-usm-an-experience-review/ ; (also available in German: http://www.bird-lens.com/2014/08/09/erfahrungsbericht-canon-ef-70-200mm-f4l-is-usm/ )

Have fun!

Greetings

Johannes

www.bird-lens.com

I got the chance to wring out one of these lenses recently and I was impressed. I had always read that it was good but nothing beats getting your hands on an actual example!
If I didn't already have the F2.8 version I would get one of these in a heartbeat!

I started with the EF 70-200 F/4L and true to warnings on the Internet, my first copy was de-centred. The replacement copy showed similar but acceptable errors, and I was generally pleased with the results. After a few years, I exchanged it for the IS version, and that was much better with no hint of the de-centring of the non-IS version. I have 1D IV, 5D II and 7D bodies, and to cover the recent Tour of Britain Cycle race I had no hesitation in choosing the 1D IV and the 70-200 F/4L IS. (It's generally too short for birds, but I have used it successfully for some birds-in-flight shots.)

Here's a link to a full res shot of the 2014 Tour of Britain peleton at the Dolfor hill climb. (800 ISO & F/5.6)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...on King of the Mountains climb at Dolfor .jpg

Sir Bradley Wiggins & Mark Cavendish are close to the front.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back