• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extention tubes (1 Viewer)

seggs

Alrite!
Hi Folks

I am thinking about maybe buying extention tubes for my 7D, 400mm 5.6 set up to allow getting closer to Butterflies etc. this year.
Looking on the likes of ebay etc. it seems a bit of a nightmare. Can anyone advise please as Ive not a clue.
Or should I just save up for maybe a 200mm for this type of photography.?

If you do get some extension tubes this chart will show you the min/max shooting distances with various tubes combinations with the 400/5.6. As for tubes you need to look for AF ones (I believe Kenko ones are a lot cheaper than Canon's).

Attachments

• Tube table.jpg
    Tube table.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 208
BTW 'seggs' attached are a few shots I have got with the 400/5.6. No subsistent for a good macro lens that's for sure but not bad as record shots.

Attachments

• BBChaser2.jpg
    BBChaser2.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 86
  • damsel2.jpg
    damsel2.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 55
  • chaser1.jpg
    chaser1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 59
  • comma1.jpg
    comma1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 76
  • damsel3.jpg
    damsel3.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 62
BTW 'seggs' attached are a few shots I have got with the 400/5.6. No subsistent for a good macro lens that's for sure but not bad as record shots.
Thanks Roy, thats a very useful chart you posted. Ive been lucky enough to capture similar type shots with the 400mm.

Thanks Roy, thats a very useful chart you posted. Ive been lucky enough to capture similar type shots with the 400mm.
Yep, I am fairly sure those were taken without any extension tubes and cropped very heavily so very poor IQ.
I have a Canon 100 'L' macro lens for these type of shots these days but if I did not and wanted a more flexible lens I would probably go for a 300/4 - one of the best lenses around for butterflies although no good as a 1:1 macro lens for smaller stuff.

Last edited:
BTW seggs the trouble I always found with using extension tubes on a nice birding lens like the 400/5.6 was that every time I had the tubes on a cracking bird shoot opportunity came up but the bird was always outside of the maximum focussing distance :C

200mm f2.8 L MKII + Ext tubes = killer combo and can get you very close (if not probs all the way) to 1:1 if used with stacked tubes. Although for dragonflies and the like which can be very skittish the extra reach of the 300mm will pay dividends but will not take stacked tubes as well owing to the extra fstop of the 200mm. Of course a Canon 200mm f2.8 L is also cheaper though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back