• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye Relief problems in ZV pocket? (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,
I read a review of the Zeiss Victory 10x25, in which nothing is said about the blackout problem when viewed without glasses, other times if I read it from owners, what happened to them... I don't know if it was with the 8x25 model!? Is there a difference in eye relief? And I would like to know your opinion for users without glasses since it seems to me a good quality candidate. ,
Thank you
Pepito

Pepito,

Personally I have no blackouts with the VP 8x25 using them without glasses with the eye cups either fully up or fully down. They also work great for me with glasses and I get the full FOV.

But, no one here can tell you whether you will have a problem with blackouts with the VP either 8x or 10X. The only way for you to know is to try them yourself.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

I was going to buy a pair of 8x25s after selling my 8x20s but I happened to be in a shop this weekend, tried them & had blackouts (without glasses). Most disappointing because the image is great but they didn't fit my face. Now I'm having to consider other options.
I agree with Mike, it's essential to try them before buying, or use an online shop that has a good returns policy.

I was going to buy a pair of 8x25s after selling my 8x20s but I happened to be in a shop this weekend, tried them & had blackouts (without glasses). Most disappointing because the image is great but they didn't fit my face. Now I'm having to consider other options.
I agree with Mike, it's essential to try them before buying, or use an online shop that has a good returns policy.
Very good optics that punch well above their class, mediocre eyecups, horrible diopter, uselessly large carry case.
Get a Swaro 7x21 or the teeny Leicas for a pocket bin, or move directly to a compact 8x30 or even the Leica 8x32, the ZV is not a mature usable product, although the optics themselves are very good.

Edmund

Last edited:
Very good optics that punch well above their class, mediocre eyecups, horrible diopter, uselessly large carry case.
Get a Swaro 7x21 or the teeny Leicas for a pocket bin, or move directly to a compact 8x30 or even the Leica 8x32, the ZV is not a mature usable product, although the optics themselves are very good.

Edmund
Agree with all that. Good points.

Too bad the VP 16.5 mm ER didn't work for you. According to listed specs, ER of some alternatives, SW 8x25 17, Curio 16, UV 15 and Trinovid 14.

Looks like the Swaro may be the one to try first. FWIW, I lose a tiny bit of FOV at 14mm with glasses but get full view at 14.5. So the extra .5 may help.

Mike

Last edited:
Too bad the VP 16.5 mm ER didn't work for you. According to listed specs, ER of some alternatives, SW 8x25 17, Curio 16, UV 15 and Trinovid 14.

Looks like the Swaro may be the one to try first. FWIW, I lose a tiny bit of FOV at 14mm with glasses but get full view at 14.5. So the extra .5 may help.

Mike
The eyecups themselves are a bad design on the VP, collapsed they somehow truncate the view with glasses. Extended they fit badly into my face. Other users have complained, a fix is to put something over them, the Leica Ultravid cups perform this job nicely.

Last edited:

Edmund
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and my opinion vastly differs from yours. The diopter on my recently purchased 8x25 VP has yet to move from its set position. The solution to using the VP without glasses is to simply rest the extended eye cups on the orbital ridges near your eyebrows. This works not only to eliminate blackouts but also helps steady the binoculars. I would agree that the case is much too big. (I use an inexpensive drawstrings velvet bag when I want to sruff my VP in a pocket.)
I love the VPs for their great optics, large AFOV, shorter close focusing, and better ergonomics with a larger focusing knob within a comfortable reach of my extended index finger and a quicker to adjust single hinge design. .

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and my opinion vastly differs from yours. The diopter on my recently purchased 8x25 VP has yet to move from its set position. The solution to using the VP without glasses is to simply rest the extended eye cups on the orbital ridges near your eyebrows. This works not only to eliminate blackouts but also helps steady the binoculars. I would agree that the case is much too big. (I use an inexpensive drawstrings velvet bag when I want to sruff my VP in a pocket.)
I love the VPs for their great optics, large AFOV, shorter close focusing, and better ergonomics with a larger focusing knob within a comfortable reach of my extended index finger and a quicker to adjust single hinge design. .
want a spare pair?

Edmund

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back