• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falco (1 Viewer)

Well often some PROF. have person who work hardly on several things and later they only put their name just beacuse are the professors.... (of cours I'm not talking about Wink...I'm thinking of some cases I know well from italy for example) :smoke

Bell et al 2014

Bell, Griffiths, Caballero, Hartley & Lawson 2014. Genetic evidence for global dispersal in the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) and affinity with the Taita Falcon (Falco fasciinucha). J Raptor Res 48(1): 44–53. [abstract]

So, according to the abstract, paraphyletic differentiation of the Taita Falcon -- which did not bring Peregrine to mind when I saw it.

Niels

Well, worse are the stories of professors who let a person leave from their lab, and afterwards publish the work of that person without even including that person in the list of authors. Now, usually, the peers will know what is going on ...

Niels

What you see using a telescope in the field and what you see studying in a museum are obviously different things.

Niels

New Zealand Falcon

Lena Olley (student), Steve Trewick and Ed Minot. Population genetics of the New Zealand falcon. Abstracts from the 2014 New Zealand Bird Conference, Palmerston North.

Abstract:
The New Zealand falcon (Falco novaeseelandiae) is currently classified as a single species with three recognized morphs or races (Bush, Eastern & Southern). The morphology, ecology and to some extent geographic ranges support this treatment but so far no genetic work exploring this variation has been conducted. We examine the evidence in support of the three distinct forms of New Zealand falcon. Should they be treated as distinct conservation units and if so at what taxonomic unit should they be split? This information is important for management of the New Zealand falcon. Evidence of population or race subdivision would suggest that the three morphs would be better managed as separate taxonomic units/sub species. After examining microsatellite and mtDNA sequence data we find little evidence for population genetic structuring that correlates with the proposed size/ecological/spatial forms. A small amount of genetic structuring was discovered with a total of five haplotypes identified throughout the country, three of which were each found in a single region in New Zealand. Phylogenetic analysis was also used to determine the relationship of the New Zealand falcon to extant species in other parts of the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back