• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon or Accipiter? Leeds UK (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

I was watching a soaring Red Kite in Leeds the other day when it was briefly joined by another, smaller raptor, which was also soaring but flapping a lot more. It was hard to focus the camera on, hence only this one poor pic.

I got a strong Accipiter feel from it at the time, presuming Sparrowhawk although I did think that it didn't look quite as small in comparison to the Kite as I would expect a Sprawk to, but given how unlikely a Goshawk would be above an inner city area I assumed it must have been one. However on looking at the photo now, I'm seeing what looks much more like a falcon wing shape? (and an odd face pattern, but I'm guessing that's probably a photo artifact...)

Both Sparrowhawk and Peregrine are reasonably common in the area, if not so often seen as Red Kites. Kestrel and Common Buzzard are occasional, but this obviously isn't either of those. I'm now guessing Peregrine, though it certainly seemed much more like a hawk than a falcon in flight style at the time!

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 193
This is clearly a falcon.
The question is which species.
I am inclined to say peregrine or Merlin (which have strong fast wingbeat).

Someone with more experience with falcons should be able to tell which species by looking at the picture.

This is clearly a falcon.
The question is which species.
I am inclined to say peregrine or Merlin (which have strong fast wingbeat).

Someone with more experience with falcons should be able to tell which species by looking at the picture.
As has been said by Joern and Tom, it's a Peregrine. The broad hips and tail base are a good indicator, as smaller falcons tend to have a narrower rear end.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back