• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (14 Viewers)

Falmouth tick for me. Looking on bubo, that Henry Cook has it on his Falmouth list. Probably overlooked and occurs, but you need someone to check. Don't know how many records there have been, but not so common here in the south west as elsewhere in the country.

A cracking find whatever ...

A nice find. Looks pretty good to me. Also an unusual age category to come across.

I recorded a couple of 1w's at College Res during my time.
Cheers.
Henry.

You know you're getting old when you come back from a seawatch and make up a hot water bottle ...

... or maybe you just know that you're in England in mid-May.

Or maybe you know you're getting really old when you want to make up a hot water bottle, but you can't because you can't remember where you put it from 2 days ago ...

Gyllyngvase cliff shelter, half an hour this lunchtime (13:00-13:30), all west, visibility not great-

Manx Shearwater c.120
Lots of Gannets, a few Fulmars
Sandwich Terns 2
Med Gull 1 ad
I'm sure a dozen poms flew past just before and just after I was there.

Yesterday evening Gorrangorras high tide - 2 Redshank and a Whimbrel.

Last edited:
It's always important to not be in full possession of all the facts when having a rant ... ;)

The Garganey news did go straight out after all after turning up around midday. Apologies for any aspersions cast wrongly!

(Will just have to join twitter it seems :eek!: )

I'm away for a couple of weeks, so that's probably mostly it from me wrt local bird news for a little while. Bring on the Purple Herons ...

It's always important to not be in full possession of all the facts when having a rant ... ;)

The Garganey news did go straight out after all after turning up around midday. Apologies for any aspersions cast wrongly!

(Will just have to join twitter it seems :eek!: )

I'm away for a couple of weeks, so that's probably mostly it from me wrt local bird news for a little while. Bring on the Purple Herons ...

@CornwallBrdNews!!! #CBnews.

At least it was a good days birding as opposed to a good days damn filthy twitching! Speaking of which, haven't been tempted enough to check out the drake Scaup yet, let's see how long I last.

finally caved in to twitching the drake Scaup at College Res. It was still the only diving duck on the Res, diving and feeding near the southern end. Also 1 flypast Kingfisher and Treecreeper.

Clutch of 8 Cygnets on Swanpool along with approx 30 ducklings split across various Ducks

Hi all,
The clutch is now reduced to 4 cygnets...
Not much more to highlight from an early evening visit to Swanpool: female Tufted, 2 (+) Reed Warblers singing and G-Spotted Wpecker...
Cheers

Went for a quick visit to Pendennis Point this early evening. Nothing spectacular, but always a pleasant place to visit. In half an hour, 20:00-20:30:
- 50+ Gannets
- 50+ Manx Shearwaters (small flocks, all flying west)
- 2 Auk sp., very distant (one was likely a Guillemot)
- 1 distant Fulmar
- 6 Shags (loners in flight)
- 100+ Herring Gull, following boats in various flocks
- 8+ Great Black-backed Gulls together with HG

Around the Point some common birds:
Magpies
Woodpigeons
Blackbird
Robin
Dunnock
Wren
Linnet
Goldfinch...

Cheers

Went for a quick visit to Pendennis Point this early evening. Nothing spectacular, but always a pleasant place to visit. In half an hour, 20:00-20:30:

Cheers

Another birder in Falmouth! (Well there's actually lots, hidden away out there, but hi anyway). ;)

Not been posting for a while as been away, off again today and been too busy to bird unfortunately the last few days.

Storm Petrel would have to be the target species at the moment from Pendennis? ... (SSWesterlies looking ok)

Storm Petrel would have to be the target species at the moment from Pendennis? ... (SSWesterlies looking ok)

Time of year, and they're out there - a few from AK Wildlife cruise the other day, and 49 trapped and ringed at Hot Point on the Lizard last night (would love to know if they were swirling around the heads of the ringers on a fast or slow cycle ... )

Last edited:
Another birder in Falmouth! (Well there's actually lots, hidden away out there, but hi anyway). ;)

Hi there. Sorry I haven't posted here more often before, but I've been around Falmouth (on and off) during the last 3 years. The areas where I most go out birding (within walking distance from my place) are Pendennis and Swanpool/Swanvale areas. Some nice birds turn up every now and then, and so it's always interesting to go out around here. Common stuff like Fulmar, Green Woodpecker, Rook, divers, some grebes and other stuff are good species for me as we either don't have them (G Wpecker, Red-necked G), or are exceedingly rare in Portugal (where I'm from). It might sound funny but those are the species I'm most interested in around here (and not Hoopoes, RR Swallow, Iberian Chiffy, etc that are very common back home). Best birds up to now, rarities wise, were a Dusky Warbler last November and Iceland Gull.
Cheers

EDIT: I usually put all my observations in ebird... if I have the time...

Last edited:
Hi there. Sorry I haven't posted here more often before, but I've been around Falmouth (on and off) during the last 3 years. The areas where I most go out birding (within walking distance from my place) are Pendennis and Swanpool/Swanvale areas. Some nice birds turn up every now and then, and so it's always interesting to go out around here. Common stuff like Fulmar, Green Woodpecker, Rook, divers, some grebes and other stuff are good species for me as we either don't have them (G Wpecker, Red-necked G), or are exceedingly rare in Portugal (where I'm from). It might sound funny but those are the species I'm most interested in around here (and not Hoopoes, RR Swallow, Iberian Chiffy, etc that are very common back home). Best birds up to now, rarities wise, were a Dusky Warbler last November and Iceland Gull.
Cheers

Welcome to the thread Rafael! Good to have another Falmouth local patcher on board!

hopefully bump into you birding down at Pendennis :t: (a regular spot of mine too). Actually, to be honest, I've been mothing most of all recently but I'll start posting more Fal sightings up once I get down there.

Not been posting for a while as been away, off again today and been too busy to bird unfortunately the last few days.

Good to have you back on patch Dan! Albeit be it for a day :-O I'll be leaving on the 15th so might not bump into you before then but if you happen to be around and feel like birding the patch let me know :t:

Hope your time abroad produced some good birds!

Good to have you back on patch Dan! Albeit be it for a day :-O I'll be leaving on the 15th so might not bump into you before then but if you happen to be around and feel like birding the patch let me know :t:

Hope your time abroad produced some good birds!

Just been having fun with my flight to france cancelled - had to go elsewhere and get the train, then internet not working, but hey, here now.

Did manage one Purple Heron, plus a few better birds, will endeavour to get a trip report up asap. Not back till 21st or so, looks like you'll be long gone ... soz. That's you for the summer hols? - easy life or wot? ;)

Cheers

Realised the Dusky was yours, right pain that one ;) Don't think people would complain if you found an Iberian or even a Hoopoe in Falmouth though ...

Should bump into you at some point, although tends to get a bit busy with tourists in the summer I will probably make more effort this year (apart from being abroad). Falmouth is good, fair bit of potential. And yes, some of the 'common' birds are very nice...

Put most of my sightings on here as hopefully they go to cornwall birding, cbwps and then county recorder and birdtrack. Not used ebird yet, although will put my last trip on it.

Last edited:
Back in Falmouth - popped out to Pendennis for an hour c.12:00 - 13:00 for a seawatch.

Manx Shearwaters constantly west, hundreds, probably a thousand or two, mostly distant, but a fair few closer in, especially after the odd squall or two
Kittiwake 30+ west
Gannet, a scattering west, with an additional hundred or two over a 10 minute period
Guillemot 1, Razorbill 2, Auk sp. 3 west
No Frigatebirds etc

A rather early start this morning - checked out Swanpool and the Golf Course first thing.
Swanpool - 2 Little Grebe (+ family hidden presumably), Great Crested Grebe, 2 Mute Swan + 4 young etc.

Flock of 17 Linnets in the first field towards the golf course. Whimbrel across Falmouth Bay and 1 Manx Shearwater.

Then headed around to Pendennis, not anything of note en route. Seawatch 6:30 -7:30 from Pendennis. Very light wind (NW?)

Gannet c.200 west
Manx Shearwater 19 w
Kitiwake 1 w
Fulmar 1 w
Arctic Skua 1 w (2nd sum pale) - chased Herring Gull.
Oystercatcher 1 w
Razorbill 2 w
Med Gull (ad) 1 w
Sandwich Tern 2 w
Shelduck 3 west over the point.

A couple more Linnets

Hummingbird Hawk Moth one on the point.

A surprising morning really!

Last edited:
Another calm morning but went for a seawatch for some reason. 6 -7am off Pendennis -

Gannet 75 west
Manx Shearwater 81 west mostly distant.
Fulmar 3 west
Kittiwake 6
Med Gull 1 ad
Sandwich Tern 1
Razorbill 3 west,
Auk sp. 2 west

Also Curlew, Rock Pipit etc.

Swanpool had c.100 Swifts feeding first thing, Reed Warbler, Blackcap, Coal Tit etc

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back