• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (13 Viewers)

Was just going to correct myself as the first news I got from the group was "News from Free Spirit [name of the boat] ... 100s of porpoise" Spur of the moment over excitement me thinks

Of course, if they saw 35 on the way out, then 35 on the way back, that's 70 straight away ...

Then add up everyone's totals and you could be in the thousands ...

;)

My joke ;)

I think only 4 or 5 (?) people managed to see it over the whole winter period - no wonder really if it didn't actually favour the immediate area next to the path - it could happily be in the middle and no-one would be any the wiser ... I don't doubt it did actually exist!

Hopefully we'll get some more good stuff this autumn/winter ...

and hopefully I don't need to wonder up and down through Swanvale for another 2 weeks in the vein hope...:-C

Definitely a frustrating bird. Only saw it on the day I found it, despite going there pretty much daily afterwards, and despite other people seeing it on the next 2 weeks. Ilya saw it twice... I live 5 minutes walking from Swanpool which makes it even more annoying...

On another subject, has anybody been to Maenport lately? It might be a good idea to start checking it once in a while... I just have very little time for that right now, otherwise that's a place I would try to go to regularly.

On another subject, has anybody been to Maenport lately? It might be a good idea to start checking it once in a while... I just have very little time for that right now, otherwise that's a place I would try to go to regularly.

Never birded it properly ... passed by or through once or twice (and just got plain depressed by the 100 Mallard present).

Another place which could be good just a little further towards The Helford is Rosemullion Head - it's had birds in the past eg 5 or so years ago RR Swallow and RB Shrike I believe (could be out on the species and timings though admittedly).

I was thinking I really ought to start checking Swanpool golfcourse more regularly too ... and the woods actually on Pendennis should have something good eventually too - rather neglected that one this year.

Last edited:
First for some strange reason headed up to Pendeen, along with Samuel. Not quite there for daybreak, but 7:30 was early enough (ok we'd missed a few shearwaters and such, but hey). A few squally showers were unpleasant enough, but the winds supplied in terms of some quality seawatching, although it was of course difficult to get on all birds in the conditions. Highlights whilst we were there (up to about 12:30)

Can't believe we missed 4 Cory's and 2 Great Shearwaters as reported on Cornwall Birding today?

20+ observers and no call went out for these species (Leach's, Balearics and Sooty's etc were all being called).

Odd ...

AK Wildlife Cruise had 2 Bonxies, 1 Balearic and 2 Harbour Porpoise from the boat today between 11am-3pm. We covered the area between Falmouth Docks and Gull Rock bumping into a couple Grey Seals on the way (not literally). I did miss a couple other glimpses that others got of some more H Porpoises. Instead, got 1 Guillemot, 2 Razorbills and 2 auk sp. R. Hollis also had a Storm Petrel by the wave hub.

Think I'll go for a full day patching tomorrow starting at Pendennis for seawatching. Let me know if you feel like meeting up Dan. I'll also try and check the golf course and Maenporth as you and Rafael suggested. Forgot to mention, lots of Med Gulls also about in lots of plumage types, exciting!

Think I'll go for a full day patching tomorrow starting at Pendennis for seawatching. Let me know if you feel like meeting up Dan. I'll also try and check the golf course and Maenporth as you and Rafael suggested. Forgot to mention, lots of Med Gulls also about in lots of plumage types, exciting!

IF I wake up tomorrow, was planning on hitting Pendennis first thing too. Bit busy rest of day though ... but might see you there.

Also, as I mentioned t'other day - my trip report from that time I was absent from patch back in the spring - Some Birding in Lithuania and Ukraine.

(Still rather ongoing, and could be useful for anyone else having trouble getting to sleep at night ... ;) )

IF I wake up tomorrow, was planning on hitting Pendennis first thing too. Bit busy rest of day though ... but might see you there.

Also, as I mentioned t'other day - my trip report from that time I was absent from patch back in the spring - Some Birding in Lithuania and Ukraine.

(Still rather ongoing, and could be useful for anyone else having trouble getting to sleep at night ... ;) )

Don't worry Dan, I sleep like a baby! Brilliant trip report by the way loved the humor and will give it a proper read when you start reading my blog :king:

Hopefully see you tomorrow :)

Well, that wasn't a seawatch!

Rather foggy most of the day, did Pendennis (where almost nothing) and Swanpool Golf Course, where the highlights were 25 Mipits around, 6 Pied Wags, 1 Snipe over north with numbers of Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch and Swallow in the air throughout.

Gorrangorras on the Penryn River, falling tide c.10am -

Little Egret 4
Mute Swan 6
Curlew c.35
Redshank c.20
Greenshank 4+
Whimbrel 1

Didn't manage to get to Pendennis for a seawatch until 8am but I don't think that was a problem as nothing was passing! Plenty of fog and no wind was probably the worst combination so I gave up shortly and went for a walk around the Peninsula. Some Chiffys and 2 Blackcaps hanging about and I chanced on a Common Sand in one of the isolated coves on the east side of Pendennis. I also accidentally flushed a Whimbrel and a Grey Seal drifted close past the Point.

Later bumped into J St L and as usual, more talking was done than birding but he did point out a Turnstone on the point and we saw 2 Grey Wags fly in. A few other common bits and bobs including 4 Sandwich Terns, 2 Rock Pipits and 2 Mipits.

Lots of tourists about and John kindly did most of the chatting for me whilst I tried to continue with the seawatch. Once the commotion had died down and most had left, I finally had a little peace and was rewarded with a group of 5 Balearics at 12:25pm! I first picked them up with the naked eye thanks to the extremely calm conditions and had decent scope views as they worked their way west through the bay. Infact, these outnumbered the Gannets 5:3! Sorry for the late "suppression" Dan, only just got to use the uni's internet now!

Didn't manage to get to Pendennis for a seawatch until 8am but I don't think that was a problem as nothing was passing! Plenty of fog and no wind was probably the worst combination so I gave up shortly and went for a walk around the Peninsula. Some Chiffys and 2 Blackcaps hanging about and I chanced on a Common Sand in one of the isolated coves on the east side of Pendennis. I also accidentally flushed a Whimbrel and a Grey Seal drifted close past the Point.

I was going to ask how you got on. I was busy from 10:30 onwards elsewhere, so no probs whatsover. If places like Portland are anything to go by, small groups of shears could as likely be Balearics in the middle of the day as anything it would seem.

Out of interest does anyone know the distance between the wave hub in Fal Bay and Pendennis Point?

I asked this a while back, even going into the harbourmsters in the high street. They did give me a printout with a position -

50 deg 06.04;'N, 004 deg 59.65'W

Which is absolutely useless for me! I was told eslewhere that it was 4 miles out, but it would be nice to know more precisely, plus of course is that from Falmouth harbour or the site it was towed from as opposed to Pendennis?

The above position should be possible to work out with the correct GPS gadgetry, or sea charts, I actually discussed this with the landlord this evening, so may be able to get somewhere hopefully.

Another useful possibility is a mobile phone app which identifies ships at sea - given the number in the bay if a distance is also included this could be interesting ...

I was going to ask how you got on. I was busy from 10:30 onwards elsewhere, so no probs whatsover. If places like Portland are anything to go by, small groups of shears could as likely be Balearics in the middle of the day as anything it would seem.

I asked this a while back, even going into the harbourmsters in the high street. They did give me a printout with a position -

50 deg 06.04;'N, 004 deg 59.65'W

Which is absolutely useless for me! I was told eslewhere that it was 4 miles out, but it would be nice to know more precisely, plus of course is that from Falmouth harbour or the site it was towed from as opposed to Pendennis?

The above position should be possible to work out with the correct GPS gadgetry, or sea charts, I actually discussed this with the landlord this evening, so may be able to get somewhere hopefully.

Another useful possibility is a mobile phone app which identifies ships at sea - given the number in the bay if a distance is also included this could be interesting ...

I think you probably mean the FaBTest site, but based on those grid refs, it's 5.8 km

Attachments

• FaBTest.jpg
    FaBTest.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 42

Although not a mobile app this site might be of interest. Not techie enough to know whether you could access it from your mobile.
If you click on a vessel you get an option of "Distance to..."
Dave

Cheers Guys for the info, interested to know for a reference point when seawatching etc. I've also been looking for underwater charts of the bay for locating reefs and potential promising feeding spots for cetaceans and ultimately more pelagic bird species (ideally Stormies). I've been volunteering on board the AK Wildlife trips and although they've had a couple sightings before, finding the right location on what may appear a barren sea-surface is very important. Knowing the geography of the seafloor could be very beneficial in determining where colder currents are deflected upwards which have the potential to attract shoals of fish and ultimately cetaceans and seabirds.

If you happen to know of any resources/maps which show this information I would be very grateful.

Yesterdays Seal monitoring trip was fairly eventful and despite hugging the coastline a little too closely (meaning we missed on more pelagic species) we did locate our first Grey Seal pup of the year! Also 5 additional Grey Seals dotted along the coast between St Anthony Head and Towan Beach. Bird highlights included 2 Balearic Shears (W), 4 sheawater sp. also all west, a juv Little Gull at Towan Beach with 4 Razorbill, 2 Peregrines, 2 Raven, 2 Common Terns a douzen+ Med Gulls and finally a single Guillemot in the Carrick Roads

I think you probably mean the FaBTest site, but based on those grid refs, it's 5.8 km

Excellent, cheers. That should be the exact position of the MEC device ('Lifesaver'), within the FAB test area - 3.6 miles in old money.

Although not a mobile app this site might be of interest. Not techie enough to know whether you could access it from your mobile.
If you click on a vessel you get an option of "Distance to..."

I imagine the smartphone app I'd heard of is a version of this. And since I don't have a smartphone ...

"Distance to" in nautical miles, should be possible to look at ships at anchor and calculate as required.

Cheers again.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back