• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (8 Viewers)

Actually it was ok when the sun was out.

Back out for an hour or so late afternoon, spotted the windsurfer again c.5 miles offshore (now that's dedication).

Swanpool held the normal gulls only unfortunately, but did have a nice sum plum Great Crested Grebe, after an absence of this species for a couple of months. 4+ Little grebe and a Water Rail on my way back. Actually it did have 8 LBBGulls.

Checked the sea from by the H cafe, Swanpool - on the sea itself 5 BT Divers, 1 Great Northern Diver, 1 smart Red-necked Grebe (although it spent most of the time asleep) and still a fair few Guillemot and Razorbill on the sea, even a few Penguins too http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=276509 . Kittiwakes still moving through in dribs and drabs and distant Gannets.

Last edited:
College Goosander

Male Goosander at College Resevoir, about 16:15 today. We actually surprised each other since he was right near the bank towards the road bridge but hastily flew just out of camera range.
Here are a couple of pics as proof though.

Attachments

• CS0084434.jpg
    CS0084434.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 35
  • CS0024392.jpg
    CS0024392.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks Samuel.

I do get out to College fairly regularly when I can. This one was too good not to report! I ought to do more seawatching whilst I'm studying down here.

On looking through my photos after a night out (as you do), is this a male scaup?

Apologies for the distant photos once again

Attachments

• CCDSCF4549.jpg
    CCDSCF4549.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 44
  • CCDSCF4553.jpg
    CCDSCF4553.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
It is indeed a Scaup. It's been hanging around for a while now but I'm not sure if it's got a few genes from another duck in it, eg a hybrid with Pochard perhaps. It looks almost like a pure bird but the head shape concerned me.

Are you studying at Falmouth or Exeter Uni? I'm studying down here too :)

Exeter, MSc Conservation and Biodiversity. How about you?

Just had a quick look back through the forums and realise they've been around the resevoirs for a while. Interesting to see the hybrid scaup/pochard is pretty special and seems to be getting around.

Enjoy your blog by the way, nice to get a feel for what's around since birding's more of a hobby for me than an obsession. I haven't seen a dipper here yet despite looking.

Glad to hear from some other birders on campus :t:

I'm Exeter Uni too, studying Environmental Science (2nd year). Hopefully bump into you on campus someday :)

More from College

Just too good not to go out this morning. From 11:30-13:30 Goosander and hybrid scaup still there. Other highlights being 1x GBB Gull, 1x little grebe and 1 x diver of some description (either BT or RT) but went under just as I clocked it and did an amazing disappearing act the rest of the time I was there.

I was pleasantly surprised to find 2 female firecrest along the higher path by the A39! A lifer for me!

Just too good not to go out this morning. From 11:30-13:30 Goosander and hybrid scaup still there. Other highlights being 1x GBB Gull, 1x little grebe and 1 x diver of some description (either BT or RT) but went under just as I clocked it and did an amazing disappearing act the rest of the time I was there.

I was pleasantly surprised to find 2 female firecrest along the higher path by the A39! A lifer for me!

Sounds like a good day! (And yes, welcome to the thread ;) )

Msyself and Samuel were just able to check College Res out before dusk, unfort didn't connect with the Goosander (presumably you saw it nearer the Asda end?)

Our efforts -

College Res

2 Canada Goose
2 Mute Swan
c.20 Wigeon
15+ Tufted Duck
Scaup
Goldeneye
2 Great Crested Grebe
1 Little Grebe
10+ Coot
2+Moorhen
c.25 Cormorant roosting
Bittern
Grey Heron
Redwing
Kingfisher
Looked like a gull roost may have been happening, 100+ Herring and 20+ BH Gulls

Argal Res -

3 Great Crested Grebe
I'll let Samuel post the rest up as can't remember what he had in a quick scan from the dam whilst I was sorting out my brew!

What a bootiful day!! And the Divers are back...

Pendennis Point
GN Diver x10 (off Crab quay)
Shag x50+ (off Crab quay)
GBB Gull x3 (off Crab quay)
Purple Sand x4
Auk sp x2

Castle
Stonechat pair
Little Egret
Ripit
Oystercatcher x5
Redshank
Dunnock
Homo sapiens 10+

Devoran Quay
Black tailed Godwit
Shelduck x6
Ringed Plover x2
Redshank 50+
Curlew 50+
Teal x30
Greenshank

Gorrangorras from Falmouth side

Teal
Greenshank x2
Curlew
Swan x5

Last edited:
Only spent a couple mins in the Falmouth patch today at Argal with Dan as we were touring the rest of the west county for the majority of the day.

Argal Res:

2 Mallard
6 Tufties
2 Mute Swans
about a douzen BhGulls

Off of Castle Beach this evening, 4:30pm:

11 Black-throated Diver (1 bird in summer plumage)
1 Slavonian Grebe
1 Great Northern Diver
15+ Guillemot
1 Razorbill
50+ Shag

Earlier, about 12:00pm, I saw an unusual looking raptor fly across from St Mawes towards the docks. It looked very tatty and almost tail-less and was being mobbed by gulls but from the head pattern and underwing pattern it appeared to be a juvenile/1st year Marsh Harrier.

Last edited:
Carrick Roads from Mylor Churchtown this morning -

10+ GNDiver
1 BT Diver
40 Red-breasted Merganser
3 Eider (m, 2f)
20+ BN Grebe
1 Guillemot

College Res

3 Goldeneye f type
3 Great Crested Grebe
3 Grey Heron
4 Mallard
16 Canada Goose
Other waterfowl much as yesterday (incl the Scaup)
Kingfisher
Marsh Tit

No sign of Goosander unfortunately for me.

Argal Res

6 Great Crested Grebe (incl courting pair)
16 Tufted Duck
8 Mallard
22 BH Gull

Not going past that way much these days, nice to see 12 Curlew on the school playing fields opposite Falmouth Fire Station.

20 Teal at Gorrangorras this morning too.

Other sightings -

Bumblebee x2
The Sun

Last edited:
Glad to hear from some other birders on campus :t:

I'm Exeter Uni too, studying Environmental Science (2nd year)

Greetings from another Exeter Uni student, albeit one who departed a fair while back ;)

Unless global warming has led to massive sea rise and expansion of Falmouth bay to the east, or plate tectonics have shifted Exeter to the west, how are two students at Exeter University birding Falmouth day to day? Has Exeter Uni got a secondary campus down there or something?

]
Earlier, about 12:00pm, I saw an unusual looking raptor fly across from St Mawes towards the docks. It looked very tatty and almost tail-less and was being mobbed by gulls but from the head pattern and underwing pattern it appeared to be a juvenile/1st year Marsh Harrier.

I'd say 'nice!', but perhaps not in the sense of it being a beautiful, magnificent bird of prey ...

Report of Little Auk, 44 Great Northern Diver and 2 Black-throated Diver in Falmouth Bay from today ...

Anyone know any more details?

Out with my brother about 4ish. No Little Auks I'm afraid...just Guillemots (which were nice tho). We had:

Pendennis Point
12 GN Diver
2 Guillemot
20 Shag
GBB Gull

Castle
15 GN Diver
6 BT Diver
2 Guillemot close into the beach
200+ Shag

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back