• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (21 Viewers)

And this evening - called in at Gorrangorras again as had to pop out to the supermarket - found the roosting flock of 33 Redshank + 6 Mute Swan.

Report of Water Rail and 2 juv Tawny Owl at Swanpool this morning too.

Dead Common Dolphin currenty washed up on Castle Beach. 3 Clouded Yellow Butterfly at Pendennis Point (per SP). Med Gulls etc too ...

Last edited:
Apologies for my lack of recent updates, barely any internet (as will be the case for the next month). Seawatching with Dan off Pendennis this morning (c.7:30-10am) wasn't amazingly eventful but still a steady flow of Manxies, the occasional Fulmar and c.30-40 Common Scoter including groups of varying sizes heading both east and west. A Whimbrel flew towards St Mawes and after Dan left a small wader sp. (probably Dunlin) flew west through the bay at some distance. Manxies also picked up around 9:30 but had died down again when I left at 10am reaching totals well into the hundreds (poss. 1000+).

I found one Clouded Yellow at the point then received news of a dead dolphin sp. floating off Gylly and drifting towards Castle Beach. I watched it wash ashore where it was found to have a cable tie attached around its tail fluke (obviously attached by a person as it was firmly tied without any possible explanation of it having fitted itself by any natural means). I suspect this was done in order to tow it out of a fishing net in which it would have entangled itself (at least that's the most reasonable explanation I have).

On a brighter note, I found 2 more Clouded Yellows (including one of the female helice form) scouting out the grassy banks between Castle and Gylly Beach.

Attachments

• CY.jpg
    CY.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 51
  • CY2.jpg
    CY2.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 42
  • August 2014 (17).JPG
    August 2014 (17).JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 50
I was out 7:20 - 9:20 or thereabouts...

Pendennis Point -

20+ Med Gulls feeding/flying in the bay/Carrick Roads (there could have been double that amount ... )
Common Tern 1 imm
Sandwich Tern 2 (ad,imm)
Common Scoter 27 (flocks of 18 and 9)
Manxies as above
Gannets, a few Fulmars and 4 Kittiwakes
2 small wader sp (dunlinish) west
Whimbrel 1 east
Rock Pipit (h)

Castle Beach

7 Oystercatcher
8 Med Gull

Tunnel Beach

1 dolphin sp. floating offshore, suspected to be and later confirmed as Common Dolphin and washed up on Castle Beach.

----

And forgot yesterday ... 3 Siskin flew low west over Pendennis.

There was a report (unless I'm dreaming) on Birdguides today of a Great Shearwater - Falmouth....any clues whose record this may have been?

Great shear

There was a report (unless I'm dreaming) on Birdguides today of a Great Shearwater - Falmouth....any clues whose record this may have been?

Hi Jon,

you should check out the CBWPS Recent sightings page more often (http://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/). Birdguides clearly do ;-) We reported the Great Shear there in yesterday's news from a report sent to us at [email protected] (yet another plug!) by AK Wildlife Cruises. I.e. the bird was seen at sea on their cruise yesterday.

Hope that helps.
tony mills
assist County Bird Recorder

Hi Jon,

you should check out the CBWPS Recent sightings page more often (http://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/). Birdguides clearly do ;-) We reported the Great Shear there in yesterday's news from a report sent to us at [email protected] (yet another plug!) by AK Wildlife Cruises. I.e. the bird was seen at sea on their cruise yesterday.

Hope that helps.
tony mills
assist County Bird Recorder

Damn, I do check the CBWPS site, but forgot last night! Was just wondering if it had been seen from the shore. Whatever, a great record! And thanks too!

Hi Simon,

Thank you very much for the offer and texting me. Didn't see your post until now as have very little internet access at the moment, sorry.

This is another that was hanging around in the morning after your trapping session. Can you ID it, Samuel??

Attachments

• 20140731_071614.jpg
    20140731_071614.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 67
Quick look at Gorrangorras this evening - getting gloomy but could still make out -

15 Curlew
20+ Redshank
1 Turnstone (sum plum - v nice)
2 Little Egret
9 Mute Swan
15+ BH Gull

This is another that was hanging around in the morning after your trapping session. Can you ID it, Samuel??

Sorry for the late reply Simon, just seen your post now. It is indeed a male Four-spotted Footman. Been catching quite a few recently, sometimes double figure often nearer the wooded areas.

Thanks again for allowing me to moth trap in your garden, much appreciated :t:

Yesterday at Gorrangorras late evening -

2 Turnstone
30+ Curlew
1 Whimbrel
20+ Redshank

Today -

Popped over to Stithians earlier today - 1 Wood Sandpiper still and 14 Grey Heron

Samuel reports a juv Eider paddling around off Pendennis Point late evening.

Not much time for birding or reporting thereof at the moment, and away for a week again, but ...

Yesterday (Friday) am -

Pendennis - few Manxies, Gannets etc. On the peninsula itself - Blackcap, Whitethroat, Sparrowhawk, 30+ Swallow

Castle Beach - 6 Redshank, Curlew, Med Gull

Swanpool Point - 6 Med Gull, 2 Curlew

Swanpool - 2 juv Reed Warbler, 11+ Tufted Duck, 13 Little Grebe, GSW and Green Woodpecker

falmouth mega!!!

Tattler sp. reported at College res yesterday!!!!!!

Unfortunately away but did see the photo sent in by the lucky observer. Gutting! Even worse, the bird (and yes, the id did seem sound) was accompanied by a Knot and a Merlin roosting on the exposed shoreline rocks. Both patch ticks too.

:-C

All 3 also dream tIcks ... oh well.

Unfortunately away but did see the photo sent in by the lucky observer. Gutting! Even worse, the bird (and yes, the id did seem sound) was accompanied by a Knot and a Merlin roosting on the exposed shoreline rocks. Both patch ticks too.

Not sure about a Falmouth mega, that would rival the STE as bird of the year! :eek!::eek!: Any way of getting consent to publish the photo on BF?

Blimey, I was at Pendeen yesterday Falmouth briefly on Friday afternoon!

Hi Dan,

where did you hear this news, who took photo, can we publish the photo on CBWPS news page?

Tony Mills
assist County BIrd Recorder

Just to nip this in the bud, Dan the man informs me that post 1635 was about a particularly good dream he had, although it didn't necessarily come across that way. It's not his style to intentionally mislead with bird reports.
To put it in perspective Knot and Merlin are also unlikely here and tattler remains a dream bird.
Hopefully he can comment tomorrow when he's got net access.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back