• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (16 Viewers)

Thanks ;) It's been a bumpy ride!

I wouldn't be confident in calling it a RNGrebe, could well just be a Slav but thought I'd pass on the message anyway.

The fish that the Water Rail caught at Swanpool on the 24th has been narrowed down to either Mullet or Bass but I've only had one reply so far so have put the post on iSpot (a brilliant resource for general wildlife ID questions).

The fish is allmosat certainly a Grey Mullet, you can just about see the stripey markings in the first pic.
I know there are plenty of Mullet in Swanpool but not so sure about Bass.
There are several species of Grey Mullet including Thick lipped, Thin lipped and Golden all have the stripey markings.
Hope this helps.

Excellent - it didn't seem to resemble any freshwater fish, didn't occur to me to check salt or brackish water ones (forgot of course Swanpool is 'brackish' with that grill). Last time I saw Mullet was a large shoal loafing in the river estuary down near Kingsbridge in Devon years ago on holiday.

Nice seeing you up at College again the other day, sorry was in a bit of haste to carry on around - of course it was otters your friend saw me posting about I think now.

Also report of Red-necked Grebe off Castle Beach this morning from CK Hawk.

Ah, didn't see your second post, but it was nice to get some fresh air, wasn't it? ;) So quite probably one of the two slav Grebes we saw ... they can be quite 'red necked' but then you never know ...

Swanpool
-

Long-tailed Duck
Great Crested Grebe
Chiffchaff (+1 in Swanvale)
Blackcap
Green Woodecker flew over

offshore -

1 Great Northern Diver
2 Slavonian Grebe

And not many Shag ...

... just realised the King Eider (1st winter) reported in Cornwall late this afternoon is just south of Maenporth ... almost on patch and possibly the bird we've all been waiting for ... ?!

The fish is allmosat certainly a Grey Mullet, you can just about see the stripey markings in the first pic.
I know there are plenty of Mullet in Swanpool but not so sure about Bass.
There are several species of Grey Mullet including Thick lipped, Thin lipped and Golden all have the stripey markings.
Hope this helps.

btw - I posted up another couple of pics in the id section if you want a look - more fish pics than of the Water Rail hence that section.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=298459

Water Rail are quite omnivorous - apart from fish, amphibians, invertebrates, seeds and fruit (including climbing trees for them apparently) also been observed catching small birds such as Greenfinch in cold weather.

btw - I posted up another couple of pics in the id section if you want a look - more fish pics than of the Water Rail hence that section.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=298459

Water Rail are quite omnivorous - apart from fish, amphibians, invertebrates, seeds and fruit (including climbing trees for them apparently) also been observed catching small birds such as Greenfinch in cold weather.

Yes certainly looks like a species of Grey Mullet.
Also present in Swanpool are Flounder and Eels.
Have seen them gulping air on the surface when there has been an algal bloom that takes the oxygen out of the water. Not seen any other species though.

A brilliant patch bird today!

Got up early and was down at Maenporth with Dan by 8am where we soon picked up the local 1st winter drake KING EIDER!!! :-O:t: A brilliant find by Steve Votier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVw89LX3E0&feature=youtu.be

Dan also picked up a Slav Grebe off Maenporth and the 1st win Long-tailed Duck was still present on Swanpool at the northern end (+a Med Gull in the middle of the pool).

Appologies Dan for posting photos up late, had a virus on my laptop.

PS. The King is the bottom right dot in the landscape shot.

Attachments

• January 2015.jpg
    January 2015.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 135
  • January 2015 1.jpg
    January 2015 1.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 127
  • January 2015 3.jpg
    January 2015 3.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Out first thing with Samuel this morning. Surprise location - Maenporth.

Parking behind the beach, we set off up the hillside to the south with reasonable hopes of 'the bird' still being there. The narrow muddy path enclosed within Blackthorn and scrub soon gave out to a more open area some few hundred yards further on.

Two blobs on the sea down below soon resolved in Samuel's scope into two Eider - and then one into a 'Northern' Eider, the other into a King Eider. Excellent!

Putting the news out (twitter and texts) between us and time to try and enjoy the bird more. Unfortunately distance and early morning low light levels (cloud cover, but it did mean there was no glare or direct sunlight to contend with) meant views were a little unsatisfactory. Soon joined by J St L, and the birds were then pushed inshore to us by a local fishing boat attending its nets. We were able to scramble a little further down the cliff in the dead bracken and eventually enjoyed fairly good views. Sails, white front, pinky upper bill - all very nice!

Eventually we left the birds as they moved back towards Nansidwell direction with the probably quite sad yet admirable aim of getting the bird on the Falmouth patch list. A bit of a slog up the opposite side of the Maenporth valley cliffs, and almost back to Pennance Point, and yes, there they were. Still.

Drizzle and cloud starting to come in, and no exciting birds whatsoever encountered on the golfcourse, highlight a sneaky bit of 'handgolf' with a lost golfball. Maybe 30 Mipits in the next field, then back to the car (now joined by a good half dozen more whose decamped birding occupants we could already see wending their way up to the King Eider viewing stations beyond).

Top bird! Hope is it stays and continues to move into slightly better plumage of course.

c.60 Shag, 3+ GBBGulls and a host of 'large gulls' (I didn't look at them) attending a fishing boat also present, Fulmar and Gannet too offshore. 1 Common Gull off Maenporth, and a Slavonian Grebe initially out in the bay, later off Nansidwell.

On to Swanpool -

A quick look produced no white-wingers of course, Long-tailed Duck still present and 1 ad Med Gull with the BH Gulls.

Last edited:
Gave up ... cross post, aagghh!!! Never mind. Trust no harm done wrt virus.

Could well have been there for a few weeks - 2 Eider reported weeks back, have to admit at one point I wanted to try and get them on the patch list, but with continuing rough weather I soon clean forgot all about them ... doh.

1 - can delete this one in due course perhaps?! ;) Initial viewing point.
2- 5 - various poses.

Pretty sure (ok, absolutely certain) better pics will come out soon ...

Attachments

• 100_4730.JPG
    100_4730.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_4806.JPG
    100_4806.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_4808.JPG
    100_4808.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_4811.JPG
    100_4811.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_4816.JPG
    100_4816.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
1 - One more
2 - looking down
3 - it's off there somewhere (taken from the N side of Maenporth)
4 - 5 - The Swanpool Long-tailed Duck. Admittedly it rarely shows this well ...

Attachments

• 100_4818.JPG
    100_4818.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_4832.JPG
    100_4832.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_4868.JPG
    100_4868.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_4877.JPG
    100_4877.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_4879.JPG
    100_4879.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 42
Red-necked Grebe off Nansidwell too apparantly! There're always a couple semi-decent things that turn up alongside the rarities. Just goes to show what a bit of extra coverage can do!

Quite a lot of activity 1200hrs at Castle Beach probably as it was sheltered from the horrific North-westerly:

Kingfisher (in flight towards Gylly direction)
3 Turnstone
Curlew
17 Oiks
Little Egret
Grey Heron
Med Gull
5 BH Gull
GBB Gull
Male Black Redstart
Stonechat (pair)
Pied Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Shag

Last edited:
Had a look down Maenporth today 1000-1130hrs for the King...but no dice.

Peregrine male
Kestrel
2 Med Gull
Gannet
30 Shag

Castle beach
2 Slav Grebe (spotted by Daniel Eva)
Little Egret
2 GBB Gull

Female-type Black Redstart still perching outside my bedroom window on Beacon Road. I wonder when I can stop calling it a "female-type" and just call it female as it should probs start taking on the features of a 1st summer male by now if it was a male. ;)

Had a look down Maenporth today 1000-1130hrs for the King...but no dice.

l

Commiserations ... it was being pushed around a tiny bit by one of the local fishing boats the other day but thought it would still be around ...

... sorry wasn't back earlier - shopping took longer than I had thought it would of course, and cheers for the fatballs. Ironically whilst we were on the phone (I did pull up and turn the engine off) saw 1 Black Redstart hopping around in the road at Albert Cottages just ahead of us.

Checked Gorrangorras too whilst at Lidl's with Samuel -

200+ BH Gull
3 Med Gull
4 Buzzard
30 Teal
Greenshank
4 Turnstone

amongst the other usual stuff (2 of the Med Gulls, the Buzzards and some Herring Gulls following the plough on the skyline.)

Commiserations ... it was being pushed around a tiny bit by one of the local fishing boats the other day but thought it would still be around ...

... sorry wasn't back earlier - shopping took longer than I had thought it would of course, and cheers for the fatballs. Ironically whilst we were on the phone (I did pull up and turn the engine off) saw 1 Black Redstart hopping around in the road at Albert Cottages just ahead of us.

Checked Gorrangorras too whilst at Lidl's with Samuel -

200+ BH Gull
3 Med Gull
4 Buzzard
30 Teal
Greenshank
4 Turnstone

amongst the other usual stuff (2 of the Med Gulls, the Buzzards and some Herring Gulls following the plough on the skyline.)

Cheers Dan. Hopefully it'll be back this week: sunny anticyclonic conditions forecast will mean a bit of light to play with after work. A good trip out nonetheless.

I wonder what range these wintering Black Reds have? Beacon Rd - Berkers Cotts - Florrie Place - the beach??

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back