• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favorite Digiscope for Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

gmkirk130

United States
I have a couple Nikon EDG binoculars and Canon IS binoculars. I’ve tried a Novagrade digiscope, a Celestron NexYZ, and a few cheap (~ $15-20 USD) digiscopes to take photos with my iPhone. None of the digiscopes has seemed very stable with the connection to the binoculars’ eyepieces, probably because of the rubber eyecups.

Does anyone have a technique to increase the stability or a preferred digiscope that has a better grip?

Thank you in advance,
Gary

I have a couple Nikon EDG binoculars and Canon IS binoculars. I’ve tried a Novagrade digiscope, a Celestron NexYZ, and a few cheap (~ $15-20 USD) digiscopes to take photos with my iPhone. None of the digiscopes has seemed very stable with the connection to the binoculars’ eyepieces, probably because of the rubber eyecups.

Does anyone have a technique to increase the stability or a preferred digiscope that has a better grip?

Thank you in advance,
Gary
Magviewgear.com. I have the scope product and love it.

Magviewgear.com. I have the scope product and love it.
Thank you for the heads up!
Have ordered it, hope it works well on my Nikon ED50.
The thought is that rather than me squinting through the minimal eye relief ocular, my Samsung phone would comfortably display the image.

Thank you for the heads up!
Have ordered it, hope it works well on my Nikon ED50.
The thought is that rather than me squinting through the minimal eye relief ocular, my Samsung phone would comfortably display the image.
Should work fine, and yes it will display fine on your phone. It still displays as a circle as if looking thru scope but view in increases as you zoom in. I've got full view on my phone when zooming in. Don't forget to download the Magview app first. And if the image displays upside down as a pic on your phone, you just go into edit and flip it around. It gets easier as you use it. It's great to be able to keep the attachment on the scope and doubles as dust cover. Let me know how it works for you and if you need any help, let me know. Doesn't come with good directions :rolleyes:

Should work fine, and yes it will display fine on your phone. It still displays as a circle as if looking thru scope but view in increases as you zoom in. I've got full view on my phone when zooming in. Don't forget to download the Magview app first. And if the image displays upside down as a pic on your phone, you just go into edit and flip it around. It gets easier as you use it. It's great to be able to keep the attachment on the scope and doubles as dust cover. Let me know how it works for you and if you need any help, let me know. Doesn't come with good directions :rolleyes:
Thank you for the kind offer.
The directions are indeed inadequate, but the product is well made and generously supported with spacers and adapters.
My first concern was that the eye piece clamp was much too big for the standard Nikon 13-30x eye piece, but it fit the newer 13-40x with some of the included spacers.
Then it turned out that the magnetic attachment plate needs to be on the outside of the phone case, rather than the body of the phone. where I first put it.
Once that was repositioned, the combo works, albeit not as robustly as I would like.
The phone has to be carefully wiggled to properly place the unfortunately offset camera lens over the eye piece.
Because of the phone case thickness, there is a gap between the phone and the scope lens, so vignetting is inevitable.
That I can live with, but hopes that this assembly would stay put while carrying were disappointed.
More experimentation may hopefully yield improvement.

Thank you for the kind offer.
The directions are indeed inadequate, but the product is well made and generously supported with spacers and adapters.
My first concern was that the eye piece clamp was much too big for the standard Nikon 13-30x eye piece, but it fit the newer 13-40x with some of the included spacers.
Then it turned out that the magnetic attachment plate needs to be on the outside of the phone case, rather than the body of the phone. where I first put it.
Once that was repositioned, the combo works, albeit not as robustly as I would like.
The phone has to be carefully wiggled to properly place the unfortunately offset camera lens over the eye piece.
Because of the phone case thickness, there is a gap between the phone and the scope lens, so vignetting is inevitable.
That I can live with, but hopes that this assembly would stay put while carrying were disappointed.
More experimentation may hopefully yield improvement.
There is a setting on the app that makes a grid on the camera screen which really helps when placing camera on eye piece so you may have less wiggling. Also you may consider calling customer support, they are friendly and do answer the phone. The may be able to help you with the getting the assembly tighter

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back