• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More problem-solving magic when using the NL Forehead Rest (1 Viewer)

Owlbarred

United States
Note: The NLs have worked spectacularly in other 'normal' settings with no need for the following:

This next paragraph is only for those who have not read my recent earlier post (referenced below) re: active adjustment of the Forehead Rest (FR) to counter horrid lighting conditions at a harrier roost. Others can skip the italicized paragraph below.

The problem addressed below is that no single eyecup adjustment setting has worked to fully prevent glare across the entire ~ 70° arc of a large, repetitively-scanned area in horrid, west-facing, late afternoon light conditions. Edge glare (or none whatsoever depending on azimuth) may appear in either objective lens as the area is scanned.
A quirky advantage of using the NL Forehead Rest in horrid light conditions

Below is an simple alternative to the technique described in the thread above, a simple, but highly effective technique, within limits, that allows for nearly instantaneous adjustment of glare and/or kidney beaning while simultaneously scanning a wide area for incoming harriers coming to their ground roost.

1. With the eyecups fully retracted (position 0) -- not touching my face -- I use only the Forehead Rest for support (FR adjusted to minimum length).
2. Wonderfully, the FR's outer pad pivots smoothly, allowing for small, easily controlled upward/downward (even sideward) movement of the binoculars.
3. While scanning and maintaining focus, only a slight upward of downward movement of the FR-supported binoculars produces consequential changes in the distance between the eyes and the eyepieces (exactly what happens when you adjust eyecup position for glare).
3. The result is nearly instantaneous adjustment for glare/kidney beaning while scanning without interruption over a wide arc over a large open setting. After some practice, I had no problems at all with stability. It became automatic and second-nature. Is it perfect? No. But it sure helps during the repetitive scanning of the harrier roost.
4. I don't wear glasses and have no idea if the above works for eyeglass wearers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back