• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feathers found 14 May, Haute-Savoie,France (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
I came across what I took to be evidence of a Goshawk or Sparrowhawk kill in a forest near our place, mixed deciduous and coniferous woodland. Seeing all the grey breast feathers I assumed they were from a Woodpigeon but I had a closer look just in case, and noted the dark brown tips on many of them as you see in the photo. It’s no doubt obvious to some of you but I can’t think to what species they belong.
As always, thanks in advance for any help.
Richard

Attachments

• 05F0827B-C60E-44B6-BC77-3E5C42F1E3B4.jpeg
    05F0827B-C60E-44B6-BC77-3E5C42F1E3B4.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 49
I came across what I took to be evidence of a Goshawk or Sparrowhawk kill in a forest near our place, mixed deciduous and coniferous woodland. Seeing all the grey breast feathers I assumed they were from a Woodpigeon but I had a closer look just in case, and noted the dark brown tips on many of them as you see in the photo. It’s no doubt obvious to some of you but I can’t think to what species they belong.
As always, thanks in advance for any help.
Richard
I should add that my initial thoughts towards Woodpigeon were prompted by the quantity of feathers on the ground, too many to have come from a small passerine I would say, so I was thinking Mistle Thrush size upward……….

And I agree with Butty, it’s a 1 € coin. Please note
Number 1 excludes similar 2€ coin, which is larger. Yes, judging size is ... thanks again, Butty
1 Cent coin is uniform reddish brown, if not too worn....
Thanks Alexander for confirming the ID, I must say though that Butty fell from his usual high standards and was uncharacteristically vague in his response, ‘coin’ is a bit like saying ‘bird sp’-not good enough ;)

On a
Hello,
I agree with you, the bird was Mistle Thrush sized, because it is one. Please compare Mistle Thrush (Turdus viscivorus) - Feathers on featherbase.info

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

And the pure white groundcolour, lacking yellowish, buffish or cream hues distracts me from the other contender, a Song Thrush. Yes, there are Song Thrushes with very white underparts, but thatsthe reason why I vote for a Mistle Thrush here.
On a Song Thrush beast feather any one barb is either light or dark (hence the arrow-shaped spots), whereas on these Mistle Thrush feathers, the barbs near the end change from light to dark part way along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back