• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeders drained every night - bats, I think (1 Viewer)

Just spotted this thread and thought you might like this photo, taken in Panama at the Canopy Lodge. I was told they were 'long tongued bats', didn't realise then that there were several speces.

No matter where one is in Costa Rica, it's pretty much a given that nectar-feeding bats will drain feeders during the night. I don't think anyone even attempts to keep them away- we just fill up the feeders again in the morning. There are several very similar bat species that do that here, some looking a lot like hummingbirds when they feed!
Here is a picture of an Orangish Nectar-feeding Bat from Rara Avis.

Attachments

• orange nectar bat.jpg
    orange nectar bat.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 106
Well, the nectar-feeding bats are still here -- drinking about half of a 30-oz feeder every night. I bring in the other four feeders after sunset and put them out before sunrise. I'm beginning to think that the bats will never leave. The temps here lately have been in the upper 80s/low 90s and down to upper 50s/low 60s at night.

Since I just started feeding the hummingbirds this summer, can someone from this area (southern AZ) tell me when the bats will leave? Or if they will leave?

An update . . .

The bats are still here but dwindling. We've got some cooler weather moving in so maybe they will head south and then I can leave the feeders out over night.

For those interested . . .

The bats may be gone, finally, after over two months. I left the feeders out last night and they weren't emptied. I really didn't mind bringing them in after dusk and putting them back out before dawn - except on the weekends - the getting up before dawn part was getting tiresome on Saturdays and Sundays.

Hi, I noticed your post and have been following it.:) More bats migrating into the area maybe?
We have bats that sleep under the fake window shutters, I found out when I was cleaning the siding etc. One bat flew out and my wife was shocked to see that.:) I am not bothered much by bugs in the summer.
Regards,Steve

Hi, I noticed your post and have been following it.:) More bats migrating into the area maybe?

Regards,Steve

Probably. It's not near as bad as it was a month ago. I have this fear that since I'm feeding them (I leave one large 30-oz feeder out all night) that they may decide to stay.

PumaMan, thanks for the updates. Keep us posted on the bat welfare state you are running (j/k). I'm really curious if food alone will keep them in the area all winter. I was surprised by mooreorless's comment about bats outside the house in December. I figured PA was already too cold for them without a better temp/humidity regulator (like a barn/cave).

PumaMan, thanks for the updates. Keep us posted on the bat welfare state you are running (j/k). I'm really curious if food alone will keep them in the area all winter. I was surprised by mooreorless's comment about bats outside the house in December. I figured PA was already too cold for them without a better temp/humidity regulator (like a barn/cave).

Don't know about bats. My understanding of hummingbirds is that they will start to migrate no matter the availability of nectar or other food.

Sorry Lash I should of made my post a little clearer. This was in the summer when we cleaned the siding etc. We have a roof over our back porch and it could be the bats get inside our crawl space in the winter, Cape Cod style house.
Regards,Steve

Just spotted this thread and thought you might like this photo, taken in Panama at the Canopy Lodge. I was told they were 'long tongued bats', didn't realise then that there were several speces.

Wow, great photo. We have lots of bats around here (not sure what kind) but they leave our feeders alone.

BTW, Hi from another Roberta. |:d|

I can just seen next summer now, feeding hummers all day and the bats all night!! A 24/7 job!! 8-P:t:

Do you know where the bats are staying during the daylight hours?

I can just seen next summer now, feeding hummers all day and the bats all night!! A 24/7 job!! 8-P:t:

Do you know where the bats are staying during the daylight hours?

Hush! No, I don't know here they stay during the day. But last night I left all the feeders out and none was emptied so maybe thay have finally moved on.

Hey, how's your weather up there?

Well, I think the nectar-feeding bats are gone now. For the last few days I've left the feeders out all night and they aren't drained by morning. Whew! Three months of bringing the feeders in after dark and putting them out before dawn was getting old . . .

Well, I think the nectar-feeding bats are gone now. For the last few days I've left the feeders out all night and they aren't drained by morning. Whew! Three months of bringing the feeders in after dark and putting them out before dawn was getting old . . .

Fascinating thread. I wonder if your feeders will get raided again during the spring migration?

I don't know. I need to study up on those pesky Mexican long-tongued bats.

I live in the Tucson area too — and had/have this same bat problem.

These migratory nectar bats come here from Mexico to pollinate certain kinds of cacti in the desert. Unfortunately they have discovered hummer feeders, which may be easier (and have more nectar)?

I was told (wildlife expert) that the nectar bats leave "after the second cold snap." That seemed to be true last year. ( The time of their leaving is not related to availability of sugar water in hummer feeders.)

Even though I have fewer hummers in summer than winter, I still have quite a few feeders out all summer .... and have no inclination whatsoever to bring them inside every nite and then take them back out early every morning. Good grief.

Bottom line: Wild Birds Unlimited sent a newsletter last year that featured a nice bat cage — which they make and sell. (Tanque Verde store between Wilmot and Sabino Canyon Rd.) Yay! It works! Hummers can get inside and bats can't. Cost is around $30.00, as I recall.

One cage isn't enough for me, so this year I am going to try to make a couple more, using (upside down) hanging baskets — the steel kind that are used for flowers. Ace Hardware sells them for around $5.00. I may need to wire some screen, hardware cloth, chicken wire or something over the bottom. If this experiment doesn't pan out, I'll probably purchase another cage. Or maybe I could just hang all the feeders on the arms of one feeder pole and wrap chicken wire(field fence?) around the whole thing.

The whole situation is a nuisance. The bats need to stay out in the desert with their cacti.

Bats are "endangered and protected" (federal? state? both?)... Guess you knew that.

Bats carry rabies. A dead rabid one was found in our neighborhood. I had my house sealed by a wildlife company so they can't live here.

Now if someone would just figure out a way to exclude all of these bees! :eek!::eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back