• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about the 30x/38x Monarch eyepiece (1 Viewer)

Hermann

Germany
I am somewhat confused about the reports of a reticle in the Monarch 30x/38x eyepiece. The Nikon catalogue doesn't mention any reticle, and and the photos of the eyepiece in the Nikon brochure on the Monarch scopes doesn't show an eyepiece with the "focus wheel" mentioned by Henry and Aotus. It shows a typical, straightforward WA eyepiece, very different from the images of the eyepiece with a reticle one can find on the net.

Is it possible that Nikon makes TWO different 30x/38x eyepieces, one for "normal" people like us birders, and one for the shooting fraternity? And if so, has anyone seen the WA eyepiece without the reticle?

Hermann

Last edited:
Thank you, Joachim. I didn't find that documentation on the Nikon website. Interesting that Nikon should offer both these eyepieces.

Does anyone know the "normal" 30x/38x eyepiece?

Hermann

Hi Herrman,

I suppose Nikon has or intends to get a customer which needs a few hundred of these for uses I would rather not think about... and then decided to offer it to the general public too...

I for my part am not interested, unless the reticle can be removed...

Joachim

Thank you, Joachim. I didn't find that documentation on the Nikon website. Interesting that Nikon should offer both these eyepieces.

Does anyone know the "normal" 30x/38x eyepiece?

Hermann
Hermann,

Sorry, I missed his post months ago.

I have the reticle-less 38x eyepiece on my Monarch 82a. As long as the viewing conditions are good, it's an exceptional eyepiece. The ER is welcoming, and the FoV is nearly the same as that of the 20-60 zoom.

Where I live, it's consistently over 40 degrees (although I understand it's hotting up in Europe as well) for many months of the year. Sometimes the heat shimmer makes the eyepiece less effective.

R-L

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back