• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interchangeability of Fieldscope eyepieces (1 Viewer)

David M O

I have two eyepieces for my Fieldscope ED78. I am wondering whether any one has experience of whether they will fit later models, specifically the ED82 and the new Monarch 82ED? Nikon still list a zoom eyepiece (13-30x/20-45x/25-56x MC Zoom) which looks similar if not identical to the zoom eyepiece for the ED78, the only difference being I can find no reference to 'MC' with my eyepiece. For the one they list they say it fits Fieldscopes III, EDIII, ED82 and ED50 - but don't refer to ED78 or Monarch 82ED.

ED78 should be added to the list, but was essentially superseded by the ED82, albeit not a massive difference in optical performance. The Monarch would not be compatible as not part of the Fieldscope family of scopes. The Monarch may be bayonet rather than screw fit I believe.

The older Fieldscope eyepieces will fit the 82ED and vice-versa (The only incompatibility in that series is that most eyepieces will not fit the original Fieldscope I). Nikon also made an adapter so the Fieldscope eyepieces could be used with the later EDG scopes. Nikon hasn't offered an adapter, but there is no reason why one could not be made (by Nikon, or as a custom job) to fit the traditional Fieldscope eyepieces to the newest Monarch series scopes. The eyepieces for the EDG scopes or those for the Monarch series Fieldscopes will not fit the older Fieldscopes because they are too wide to fit down into the scope body as is needed to achieve far focus.

--AP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back