• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Final birds from Ceara, Brazil (1 Viewer)

LaplandBunting

United Kingdom
Hi all

I have now left Brazil but have a few birds left over that I was unable to identify. As always, any suggestions are always appreciated as my knowledge of Brazilian birds whilst expanding is still very limited.

1. Hawk sp. seen soaring between some trees next to the beach. It was very similar to a Eurasian Sparrowhawk in terms of size, structure and colour underneath (a very light grey/white). I noted that it's tail had two thick black and two thick white bands although it was tucked together rather than fanned. Unfortunately I could not see the overwing.

2. A bird seen flying into a lakeside tree. It reminded me of a Magpie in flight, particularly the structure of the bird and its flight pattern. However, it was a light greyish and white colour rather than having any clear black, so perhaps more like a Common Cuckoo.

3. A large number of hirundines seen flying in and out of a large tree. There were dozens of them landing in the same tree and then dozens coming out at the same time. I wondered whether this behaviour alone might help identify a species as it seemed pretty unique - the birds themselves were just plain-coloured hirundines.

Check ebird.org for the location (using explore/hotspot) you were at and then click the species name in the bar chart you get up to bring up images you can look at to compare with your memory. For the first you need to check both accipiters and forest falcons as some of those are very similar.

Niels

Check ebird.org for the location (using explore/hotspot) you were at and then click the species name in the bar chart you get up to bring up images you can look at to compare with your memory. For the first you need to check both accipiters and forest falcons as some of those are very similar.

Niels
Niels gives you good advice (of course!). There are many possibilities for the hawk, but the default to exclude in most of South America is roadside hawk. Often they seem to have big orangy roundels in their wings

Another option for 1. could be the Rufous-thighed Kite.

Have you checked for 2. also the Tropical Mockingbird?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back