• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally Joined the 40D Err99 Club (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
Well my 40D finally gave me Err99 today and whenever I try and take a photo that's all I get. I'm 90% sure it's this mirror assembly problem that is so often talked about, I was in high burst mode at the time and shooting was quite frantic. Now the camera switches on, focusses and reviews images ok but taking a picture I get one of shot off but the next one Err99 shows. Now for the really interesting bit, if I shoot using LiveView (ie mirror locked up) it does a burst fine. :C

Will give Lehmann's a ring on Monday and see what they say over the phone, that'll be where I send it as I've had good dealings with them before or do prices differ between other one's like Fixation?
Also, anyone who's had it repaired out of warranty (anywhere) and had to pay for it what did it cost you so I can get a rough idea please. I appreciate that mine may well have a different problem and repair costs could be different but c'mon, some pretty damning evidence wouldn't you say?

Cheers folks. :t:
Adam

Sorry to hear that Adam. When my 40D shutter went I was quoted about £180 but as it happened Canon picked up the tab even thought it was out of warranty. I know fixation will give you a quote after looking at the camera and it is then up to you if you go ahead.
Is it taking single shots OK? When mine went it focused alright but when I fired the shutter it would get half way through and then lock-up (burst or single shot)

It will take one shot (even in single shot mode) but I'm guessing something then happens to the mirror and any attempt to take another shot results in... well you know what.

Sorry to hear it's caught up with you as well Adam. When I had the problems a while ago it was under warranty however when I researched repair costs there was quite a bit of variation in prices between repairers. It was more annoyed about how long it took for the repairs which also varied between repairers though the second occasion it took weeks rather than months. I recall it was Fixation that came out top for both price and speedy service out of the ones I checked up on - though that was well over 12 months ago now.

Mine was doing the same locking up after a few frames, then just one frame and then I couldn't take one photo - whether in single-shot or burst mode. I never tried it with LiveView. Mind you it was the shutter assembly rather than the mirror that needed replacing - twice!

I havent long had my 450d returned from Lehmanns after needing a new shutter (under warranty).Be warned Adam,I had to wait six weeks to get it back.They did a superb job though,even replacing the sensor.

That's bad news Adam, mine was done under warranty in Colchester in five days,
price would've been £140 otherwise, service was very good!
But I've also had a lenses serviced by Lehmanns with no complaints!
I suggest wherever you send it you get a time quote as well as a price quote!

Update. Fixation gave me an estimate of £175 + VAT if the shutter needs replacing (the guy told me over the phone it's a very good chance that'll be the case!) and have it back by the end of next week at the latest after I send it off today.
I genuinely hope I'm not the only one unimpressed with Canon's quality control, exactly how many 40D's did they test for the quoted shutter lifetime that we see in the specs!? Not nearly enough it would seem to spot what seems to be an inherent fault. They really are starting to appear to have ethics a lot like good ol' British Leyland to me.

My first 40D is a disaster. Error 99 at 1 1/2 months old. Sent it back and got a replacement. This one then is OK - blasted over 90,000 and now in my Daughter's hand after I got the 7D. The 50D is OK, it runs to over 100,000 and still going. (I keep manual record of Number of shots).

Well I've received my camera back today. It's cost me £217 all together! :C

Not terribly happy that Fixation have charged me VAT on the postage. In other words they added up all the charges incl. postage and then did the VAT. Only a couple of quid but it still seems wrong to me.

There we are anyway. If it breaks again I'm going to declare war on Canon!

The number of actuations doesn't seem to matter in the slightest. Pound to a penny you're 'shitter' mechanism will need replacing.

BTW Any thoughts on my PM?

Having just joined the club, thankfully with a year remaining on a 3 year extended warranty, can any other club members give an indication of the reliability of their 40D post an ERR99 fix. Mine through Jessops has gone back to Canon with an expected 11 day turnaround. I'm not holding my breath.

Having just joined the club, thankfully with a year remaining on a 3 year extended warranty, can any other club members give an indication of the reliability of their 40D post an ERR99 fix. Mine through Jessops has gone back to Canon with an expected 11 day turnaround. I'm not holding my breath.
My 40D shutter has worked flawlessly since having it replaced (some 9k shots ago). I also had the shutter button replaced at the same time and that was better after the fix than it ever was from new.

Mine went again within 12 months and was repaired under warranty again - two years on and it's still working fine :t:

It depends on the problem though as I think Err99 covers a few things - either way 11 days turnaround is pretty good.

Mine took 3 weeks at the local Canon repair centre (new shutter mechanism). The people who worked hated the Err99 message as they said it told them very little about what was actually wrong with the camera.

Mine went after 10 months and forced me to rush out and buy the 50D (well, it was Spring, what's a girl to do?!). Fixation fixed it in a week. I keep it as a second body; I reckon the 50D is due to play up round about now (viz. just out of warrranty).Rosie

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back