• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finland Hawkers (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Hi All,

PSB photos of two hawker dragonflies in Eastern Finland at the Bear Centre about an hour East of Kuhmo. I'm not at all sure what they were: both were substantial in size. Two photos of one, and one of the other. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

John

20220808 (13)_Hawker_sp.JPG

20220808 (16)_Hawker_sp.JPG

20220808 (35)_Hawker_sp.JPG

Wonder if the top is female Bog Hawker, Aeshna subarctica? Not a species I've encountered, though have visited the area where you were & saw A. caeruluea. Bottom has the yellow costa of Common Hawker, but I'm not convinced it's one, though being in SE England not one I see often, but should be where you were.

Sorry, just got back to this.

The problem I have with the hawker on the birch log is that it has tinted wings. That ought to mean either Brown Hawker (which it clearly isn't) or Siberian (my judgement at the time was it was big enough for that, and I thought the tint was more on the outer wings than inner but I wasn't sure if I was seeing what I wanted to see?)

The other one I agree with you.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back