• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finquiz II (5 Viewers)

Finglish

Karwin said:
This is a sequel to the legendary Finglish quiz of Ruffled feathers. Identify following bird names of Finnish twitcher slang. All are based on their English names.
11. brenkku
12. kanadis
13. kormorantti
14. kosanderi
15. skootteri (genus)
16. stara
17. stelleri
18. svani (genus)
19. viiri
20. villetti

Disclaimer: persons with Location: Finland are banned.
OK Karri I think I got a few
12-Canada goose branta canadensis
13-Cormorant
15-scoter
19-veery
20-willet
Please send prize of a litre of Finlandia to me
Sam

samuel walker said:
OK Karri I think I got a few
12-Canada goose branta canadensis
13-Cormorant
15-scoter
19-veery
20-willet
Please send prize of a litre of Finlandia to me
Sam
All correct, but sorry - they were spotted in an hour by Simon (post nr 2). New names (based on scientifics) were released in post nr 4, yet following ones remain unidentified:
21. anis
24. kery
25. papi
26. pate

Darrenom said:
21. Accipiter nisus

25. Pernis apivorus

the other two are doing my head in.........HELP!!
Correct o:)
More hints to two missing ids:
24. kery is a common breeding species in Finland, but doesn't do that in Britain. Some say it's beautiful colour, I don't.
26. pate can easily have ten eggs in its nest.

satrow said:
Carpodacus erythrinus?

Andy.
Yes :clap:
This was tough - with 209 hours almost twice as hard as the first part. Winner in birds 21-30 is again Darrenom - that linguistic identification wizard :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tougher it gets, with following ten scifi-based Finn-twitcho-names:
31. ada
32. ale
33. are
34. ari
35. aru
36. eki
37. ere
38. eri
39. ery
40. ola

Darrenom said:
32. Alectoris rufa?
39. Anas erythroryncha? or Anser erythropus?
I am depressingly sad to announce Нет. Alectoris has never migrated this far north, neither has that Anas. One point for Anser, although it's not what I was looking for. Another point will come from the correct answer, a common nice looking beloved singer of Finland, that You would pay to see & hear in British summer.

Darrenom said:
38. Erithacus rubecula?
Right!

Darrenom said:
...........need more coffee.
B :)

Darrenom said:
34. Phalacrocorax aristotelis?

40. Cygnus olor?
34 correct, 40 not - says Bird Database of this thing: Breeds from Lithuania, eastern Poland, Belarus and Ukraine east to Central Asia and also at very scattered localities in central and western Poland, eastern Germany and Hungary. Has bred in France, Belgium and Netherlands, Slovakia, Austria and Italy. A summer visitor which leaves breeding areas and moving westwards or south-westwards in August-September to occur in Netherlands, Belgium, southern England and western France before flying south to winter in tropical West Africa.

Tim100 said:
33 - Arenaria Interpres
37 - Eremophila Alpestris
Both right.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back