• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finquiz II (2 Viewers)

61 - turdus viscivorus
63 - phylloscopus sibilatrix (do they sing at night in finnland???), acr. palustris doesn't occure?
67 - ciconia nigra?

Wrong.
61: a bit same looks, but smaller.
63: we have all kinds of Phylloscopus & Acrocephalus here. Phyllos are sunlight singers, Acros prefer night, but this passerine doesn't belong any of these genuses.
67: this species has white mirror on right wing.

61 - turdus philomelos
63 - luscinia luscinia (regulus regulus feels close to Phyllos but at midnight and "hyitti?)
67 - cepphus grylle

61 - turdus philomelos
63 - luscinia luscinia (regulus regulus feels close to Phyllos but at midnight and "hyitti?)
67 - cepphus grylle
sweuat!

61 - turdus philomelos
67 - cepphus grylle
sweat!

63 drives me mad! Review: it occures in Finnland; it starts singing at midnight in Finnl. June; it is close to collybita whatever that means; it has a Luscinia similarish tail; and it's not a Phyllo or Acrocephalus or Locustella (naevia) or Luscinia. grrmmbl. I tried Phoenicurus ph. already. Bluethroat is a Luscinia. If the similarity in tails refers to the rounded edge I'd look for a Locustella. Neither Cisticola nor Cettia breed in Finnland as far as I know. Hence it must be either Locustella fluviatilis or Sylvia borin but borin doesn't sing at night therefore I try next with [/I]fluviatilis. and then my wisdom is over.

Ten new birds

Correct! Congratulations from 61-70 to Lou :clap:

Next challenge are Finnish official names translated into English:
71. bogcock
72. crossduck
73. gooseraveneagle
74. fish mosquito
75. laughing gull
76. mediterranean gull
77. lapland magpie
78. sea magpie
79. sea capercaillie
80. sea fairy

Wrong.
71 - The Prodigy sings about this bird ;)
76 - ....to you guys I say no more ;)
77 - bird banders do not like this one
78 & 79 - both refer, besides of habitat, to the overall colour with mentioned birds

71. bogcock – numenius arquata
72. crossduck – clangula hyemalis
73. gooseraveneagle – haliaeetus albicilla
74. fish mosquito – sterna hirundo
76. mediterranean gull – larus michahellis
77. lapland magpie – lanius excubitor (aou!)
78. sea magpie – bloodfoot again
79. sea capercaillie – alca torda
80. sea fairy – phaethon aethereus or sterna albifrons

lou

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back