• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First 5x zoom spotting scope? (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

By chance I noticed an advertisement of http://bushnell.com/tactical/spotting-scopes/elite-tactical/elite-tactical-(lmss)-8-40x-60mm . As >4x zooms are in my wish list o:D I got curious on the specs of this model. Unfortunately seems an adaptation of a riffle scope with their limitations in AFOVs...
By the way Swarovski and Zeiss produce 8x zoom riffle scopes (there is a VICTORY V8 4.8–35x60...), but I already would be happy if Swaro would produce an X eyepiece module with >=3x zoom and at least maintaining the present X eyepiece module AFOVs, as I mention at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Test_of_my_present_preferred_cr-telescopes ... o:D

Buy a Celestron Regal in 80mm or 100mm. Then you can purchase bonafide 1 1/4" astronomical eyepieces. Divide the focal length of the scope by the focal length of the eyepiece for the magnification power.

The 100mm is 540mm fl, so the Luminos 82* 15mm fl eyepiece [26mm field stop] comes to 36X

I think the 80mm is 480 fl and if so the same eyepiece would produce 32X.

I know what you have I've been to your site.

Then I paid a dollar a degree. Many eyepieces fall short of lofty claims. The nature of advertising/promotion I suppose. Still a lot of bang for the buck.

Although the Meade 100* 10mm has been reviewed as being spot on.

I have an Optolyth Royal bin in 10x45. Slow/hunting focus though it suits me and I like the view.

VICTORY V8 4.8–35x60 $3699.99, yet free delivery and there's your answer. Such a zoom would more than likely be cost prohibitive for most.

I considered the TeleVue Nagler Zoom 3-6mm.

Hi,

the Nagler Zoom is quite nice optically but the field of view is not really Nagler like... 50 degree afov... eye relief is also rather slim at 10mm.

Unfortunately the universal zoom kits are not made any more although one austrian shop is still selling them with a 82deg EP - but the zoom range is below 2x. Also you need a 2" focuser for these even if the original EP is only 1.25", so no dice in a spotting scope.

http://www.teleskop-austria.at/shop...UWAN7set&skod=21&om=Eyepiece-side accessories

Or the baader zoom with the barlow - 3.6-10.6mm not too shabby either and the barlow can be used for other EPs too in a pinch.

Joachim

W/size/weight of eyepieces, not the Nagler zoom, I chose not to barlow on the spotter. Although as you point out not so Nagler fov, yet for me the 3-6 is 90-180X. A poor mans eyepiece set of sorts.

I would never buy any single eyepiece that resulted in 150-180X, but w/zoom at reasonable price it would be nice to frame at 90X and work me way however far up the glass would allow.

I do not require spectacles though I've been purchasing some eyepieces that have plenty of eye relief. I'm not getting any younger. At one time I considered the four lens orthoscopic though short er combined w/narrow field being used on a non-tracking spotting scope quelled the notion.

For me the Regal in 100mm affords the everything scope at a bargain price. The most resolution w/colour corrected ED glass, whatever that actually defines other than implication, in a fast doublet that's fairly portable.

I do not kid meself. None is stumping the Celestron offering abilities as alpha quality. However, unless mistaken it does represent the most affordable option that includes 1 1/4" focuser coupled w/higher density glass than their lower tiered models.

Sorry for rambling on about the Celestron as I've no intent on hijacking the thread.
I just naturally gravitate to stumping for a Celestron Folder and as result wander a mite OT. |:D|

ETA: "By the way the Luminos 15 mm, although advertised as 82º AFOV, should be only 72-74º"
Even better as the fov from 72* 14mm is just shy of 100* 10mm.

I'll lose practically nothing in fov whilst gaining the extra 18X. Smashing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back