• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

first attempt at digiscoping (1 Viewer)

harris hawk

Hi everyone
Finally managed to have a crack at digiscoping today after buying a camera(coolpix 8700), then a scope(tsn 3) and then having to buy another camera(coolpix 4500).
What a difference it makes using the right camera. Quite pleased with the results, but any advice welcome.
many thanks

Paul

Attachments

• nuthatch 1small.jpg
    nuthatch 1small.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 217
  • nuthatch 2small.jpg
    nuthatch 2small.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 203
  • siskin 1small.jpg
    siskin 1small.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 224
You should be very proud of these shots, even if you'd been digiscoping for years. Top stuff, even more so because the weather was ropey and was obviously fairly dark with shutter-speeds not being that fast.

It's hard to give any further tips, you just keep going along like this.
You may want to download a free noise reduction programme such as www.neatimage.com just to clean up the slightly grainy backgrounds, but that's minor stuff.

cheers,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
You should be very proud of these shots, even if you'd been digiscoping for years. Top stuff, even more so because the weather was ropey and was obviously fairly dark with shutter-speeds not being that fast.

It's hard to give any further tips, you just keep going along like this.
You may want to download a free noise reduction programme such as www.neatimage.com just to clean up the slightly grainy backgrounds, but that's minor stuff.

cheers,
Andy
Thanks for the comment and the link Andy.
Typically it started to rain as soon as I took the camera out of the car.

Paul

You still got Siskin at Seaham? I haven't seen one down here for at least a month now - I'll have to look harder next time I'm out ;)

I'd say you got off to a flying start (sorry) as well. Plenty of detail and exposure spot on. Bright days certainly make for better and easier to take photos - the increased shutter speed alone counts for a lot.

I found the more photos I took the more of a feel you get for digiscoping - though don't expect resutls as good as this every time. Sometimes it seems like mno matter what you do the results aren't as good as you'd hoped - secret is to keep trying ;)

Looks like youi've already got the technique licked though as it was camera shake I had the biggest problems with.

IanF said:
You still got Siskin at Seaham? I haven't seen one down here for at least a month now - I'll have to look harder next time I'm out ;)

Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply. The birds were actually at a friends house at Wark in Northumberland.

IanF said:
I found the more photos I took the more of a feel you get for digiscoping - though don't expect resutls as good as this every time. Sometimes it seems like mno matter what you do the results aren't as good as you'd hoped - secret is to keep trying ;)

I found this out yesterday. In between the Siskin and the Nuthatch I took about 8 photos of a Blue Tit and not one came out. I think it was moving to quick and the light was poor.

Regards

Paul

Last edited:
Hi L-Mike

The photos were taken with the coolpix 4500 :D.
Could'nt get any photos with the 8700 :storm: , because I had to use max. zoom to get rid of vignetting. All the pictures I took with the 8700 were blurred and so useless.

Hope this helps you

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back