• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Bird seen in 2011 prediction. (1 Viewer)

Turns out it wasnt a choice between Herring Gull and Feral Pigeon as there was one of each sat together as soon as i looked out the window.

Nearly always the first bird seen at the start of each year for me is a jackdaw. This year it was different, goldfinch was first with jackdaw a lame fifth.

Happy New Year.

Si.

I'm about to look outside, and I will guess American Goldfinch, since they are common at the feeder and seem to be among those who show up early. The Mourning Dove and Dark-Eyed Junco would be other likely ones.

Happy New year To All,
I would have predicted a feral pidgeon, but i am glad to report my first was a Wren , closely followed by a blue tit then blackbird and wood pidgeon,
Regards,
nigel

Last edited:
I predicted american goldfinch, and was almost correct (I heard canada geese before but it was the first seen). Also now house sparrow, black-capped chickadee and hermit thrush (all in my backyard, the thrush was surprising as it hasn't shown itself before this winter)

I predicted the American goldfinch, but right after posting I first saw dark-eyed juncos, my third pick. I probably should have guessed that, since they have been there early on some recent mornings. Some yellow-rumped warblers were there at the same time.

After that, except for a lone female house finch, things were dead until after 9:00, about an hour and forty minutes later when I saw mourning doves, house finches, and then the goldfinch. That was followed by an uncommon sighting of northern flicker in the birdbath, and a Carlolina Wren.

i predicted blackbird or woodpigoen but i am glad to say i am wrong, at 5 minutes into 2011 i went outside to look at the fireworks and a disturbed woodcock flew over!!!!!!!!! a garden lifer

i said i was going for a lesser scaup... i did but it wasn't there however i did see 2 greater scaups and a smew!!!:t:

I predicted a blackbird as we have had a male feeding outside our shop most mornings, even before it has got light.

First bird at 8.13am turned out to be Feral Pigeon closely followed by Herring Gull, Jackdaw & Rook :king:

Had a hellish morning at work but escaped to the beach at Boulmer at 1pm and now feeling completely chilled out and relaxed :t: Who needs prozac when there's birding? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back