• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First evening in Ardersier - November 2023 (1 Viewer)

Scozmos

United Kingdom
Good evening all, up visiting mum and went for a walk along the shore, after the rain stopped. Typically i didn't take the long lens so.........
20231118 - Grebe.jpg

20231118 - Diving duck.jpg

So, Long-tailed duck and ........ a Grebe?
Thanks in advance
PS I'll take the big lens in the morning

You seem only to have glanced at my request.
What have I missed Butty? Is it “every” or “country”? The mods can remind people of rules or you can report if you feel necessary.

Congratulations on the great birds btw Scozmos. And I fully agree with John’s ID.

Last edited:
Country didn't bother me - I know where Ardersier is.

BTW I should have said its a Slav because it has a clean cap with a bold white cheek, throat and neck sharply demarcated from crown, nape and hind-neck. Black-necked Grebe is smudgy.

Hope you get the same views when you have your long lens.

John

Could you give the location info (country + region) in every post, please? Thanks.
E277798, N855232
Ardersier shore

Good morning butty, is it. The Slavonian Grebe was seen swimming and diving in a SSW direction just off the shore in Ardersier, Highland, Scotland, United Kingdom. Take the A96 East out of Inverness, towards Inverness, Dalcross Airport. Take the B9039 on the left towards Ardersier/Fort George this road runs directly into the town. The sea is on your left as you arrive. The shore runs on to Fort George at the tip of the headland and there is a path following the shoreline all the way with car parking at several spots. I hope this helps 👍👋

Country didn't bother me - I know where Ardersier is.

BTW I should have said its a Slav because it has a clean cap with a bold white cheek, throat and neck sharply demarcated from crown, nape and hind-neck. Black-necked Grebe is smudgy.

Hope you get the same views when you have your long lens.

John
Well, keeping in mind that this is an international forum, it is useful to put at least the country, the same as when one puts the name of a place at Turkey, or Spain, or India... It helps to all the group and doesn't harm anyone to do so (if occasionally one forgets to do so is not a big deal)

Last edited:
Well, keeping in mind that this is an international forum, it is useful to put at least the country, the same as when one puts the name of a place at Turkey, or Spain, or India... It helps to all the group and doesn't harm anyone to do so (if occasionally one forgets to do so is not a big deal)
It does indeed, though - as some on here constantly remind the rest of us - the miracle of Google will reveal the country of a place-name as quick as thought. ;)

John

I had no idea where Ardersier is - I assumed it was some Mediterranean or Indian Ocean locale I'd never heard of perhaps. But then I opened the thread, saw that it was a Long-tailed Duck and Slavonian Grebe, saw the OPs Union Jack flag, assumed it was closer to home, and thought 'oh well, I guess it's closer to home then', and didn't really care much after that ...

(Apologies to any residents of Ardersier on here ;-) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back