• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First photos on 20D - Any tips? (1 Viewer)

markgriff

markgriff
Well, as you can see following my previous thread, I've now worked out with some assistance how to upload these pics. (Thanks for the help with that!)

These are my first attempts with my new 20D so any tips on how to improve them or enhance them in photoshop would be much appreciated, as I'm a bit new to the world of digital!

Thanks,

Attachments

• Pintail.jpg
    Pintail.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Swan 01.jpg
    Swan 01.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Swan 02.jpg
    Swan 02.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 267
Personally from a rank amateur Mark Keep up the good work. These are very nice shots showing good detail.

I hope you get some other comments.

Pete

All I can say is...if these are your first attempt - wow!

They are super. Can't wait for the next. Well done.

John.

excellent photos Mark.

I've slightly sharpened the pintail, and have adjusted the levels on the second swan shot and slightly sharpened it. Such adjustments will look much better if you do them on the original full size photos.

You're already taking great photos, but I'd recommend spending some time learning how to use photoshop (or what ever editing software you have), this will be time well spent. You'll also be able to pick up lots of tips over on www.worldphotographyforum.com

Attachments

• pintail.jpg
    pintail.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 218
  • whooper.jpg
    whooper.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 194
postcardcv said:
excellent photos Mark.

You're already taking great photos, but I'd recommend spending some time learning how to use photoshop (or what ever editing software you have), this will be time well spent. You'll also be able to pick up lots of tips over on www.worldphotographyforum.com

Yes, it's Adobe Photoshop Elements that I've got. Unfortunately, I've been too eager to get out and play with the camera and not spent enough time yet getting my head around the software yet. Will make an effort on the next rainy day to stay in and spend a bit more time learning this.

Many thanks for the comments and tweeking the photos. Will have a look at the site now.

Cheers,

Nice photos Mark,
what lens have you got? And where were they taken, if you don't mind me asking?

There better than my first attempt, but my first where taken on a rather dull day.

Ant

Britner said:
Nice photos Mark,
what lens have you got? And where were they taken, if you don't mind me asking?

There better than my first attempt, but my first where taken on a rather dull day.

Ant
Ant,

They were taken today at Martin Mere using a Sigma 100-300mm f4 lens + 1.4 TC & beanbag as support.

Regards,

Good shots,Mark,keep going.these shots are very good seeing as you used a 1x4 tc,usually they are quite dark.Just keep taking shots of anything and everything using different settings etc,until you are really happy with the results.

HI Mark. I was also at martinmere today and what a superb day it was. the only thing i can add to this is to use light more to your advantage. Your pintails are lovely but the swans are rather flat and lifeless. Today the light was superb and really brought birds to life through the viewfinder. Watch how light moves and affects the birds as they move in and out of it and watch how light can really help liven up your photos. An excellent first attempt, well done.

Seems to me youre just needing to invest a little time into your editing process now Mark. The above images show clearly your abilities. Get to know the camera and lens combination you have. May sound a bit obvious, but read, and re-read the manuals. The more you become familiar with the various functions of both cam and lens, the quicker you will be able to adapt to changing circumstances in the field.

Good work so far :t:

Tom

psilo said:
the only thing i can add to this is to use light more to your advantage.

One problem I was encountering was trying to photograph the swans when the sun hit them. I was finding that as a result of the light reflecting off their white bodies, I was losing the plumage detail in the resulting photographs.

Any tips on how to overcome this? Would under exposing the photo slightly retain the detail?

Thanks,

Mark, to be honest with you, Im not sure you would get a better exposure, including the detail, in those swan shots. I think its all there. I find when photographing a bird surrounded by sand or water I get good exposures. You need to take a light reading from a mid-tone in the scene and this should help you expose, for example the whites in the swan, with detail.

Tom

markgriff said:
Well, as you can see following my previous thread, I've now worked out with some assistance how to upload these pics. (Thanks for the help with that!)

These are my first attempts with my new 20D so any tips on how to improve them or enhance them in photoshop would be much appreciated, as I'm a bit new to the world of digital!

Thanks,

I wouldn't be too disappointed with those Mark. As I may have said to you before, join the digital-rebels list on yahoo.com

It's a very helpful group with lots of birders and loads of experienced users only too willing to offer advice and suggestions. The group caters for all Canon Digital SLRs. (1D, 10D, 5D, 300D, 350D and 20D users).

To subscribe, email [email protected]

To me Whoopers just shout winter and remind me of great winter days long ago (when I were a lad and we had snow :t: ).

I was at Martin Mere on business a few weeks ago, but due to time could not enter the reserve, apart from the coffee shop. Hundreds of wildfowl calling and couldn't go birding...brill (not) :C

John

markgriff said:
One problem I was encountering was trying to photograph the swans when the sun hit them. I was finding that as a result of the light reflecting off their white bodies, I was losing the plumage detail in the resulting photographs.

Any tips on how to overcome this? Would under exposing the photo slightly retain the detail?
With a digital image it's easy to pull detail from slightly underexposed areas. But it's impossible to get detail from totally overexposed areas. When I think that blown highlights may be a problem I try to take shots with a range of exposures - using the big dial on the back of the 20D to change the exposure compensation is something that should become second nature.

However, you do need to get into the habit of making sure you've changed it back to zero when you've finished!

Hi Mark,
This is my first post here, so if I am stepping on toes, please excuse me :)

I agree with the other responses. You are doing very well for just starting out. I also agree about not being able to get a better exposure on the swans. The histogram was pretty much stretched from limit to limit. So you got everything you were going to get with a digital and without blowing highlights or losing shadow detail. I'd strongly suggest using RAW with your 20D. It gives you more exposure latitude for these white birds.

I also tried a quick edit on one of the swans. I took it way up in brightness. Close to blowing out the head feathers. I also brightened the eye a bit and slightly sharpened the chest and head area. I would have liked to sharpen the whole swan, but there were lots of artifacts around the neck/head area. As mentioned, you could probably do a lot more with the original jpg.

So much of what you decide to do to your images is a matter of personal taste. Obviously I like bright pics with lots of detail...lol

Again, good work and keep shooting those birds.

Steve

Attachments

• Swan 02.jpg
    Swan 02.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 159
SMC2002 said:
I'd strongly suggest using RAW with your 20D. It gives you more exposure latitude for these white birds.

Hi mark and steve,

The use of RAW mode also depends on how much memory you have avaible.
EG. a 128Mb card would only give you about 13 RAW images. My 1Gb card can only hold 105 RAW images.

It does help when photographing in difficult lighting sutuations, as you can adust the levels on the computer, just remember to change back to JPEG when you've took the photo.

Ant

SMC2002 said:
I also tried a quick edit on one of the swans. I took it way up in brightness. Close to blowing out the head feathers. I also brightened the eye a bit and slightly sharpened the chest and head area. I would have liked to sharpen the whole swan, but there were lots of artifacts around the neck/head area. As mentioned, you could probably do a lot more with the original jpg.

So much of what you decide to do to your images is a matter of personal taste. Obviously I like bright pics with lots of detail...lol

Again, good work and keep shooting those birds.

Steve

A very effective edit of that image, SMC. Good work :t:

Tom

SMC2002 said:
Hi Mark,
This is my first post here, so if I am stepping on toes, please excuse me :)

Steve

Not at all Steve,

Thanks for editing the photo for me, your end results in photoshop were more successful than mine. As I mentioned earlier, I think I'll have to spend a bit more time learning how to use the software!

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back