• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Tajikistan (eBird) record of Common Shelduck? (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
Hi all, I took these yesterday in southern Tajikistan. I'm 99.8% sure I'm right in calling this a Common Shelduck (dark head, flight feathers, back suspenders, and tail tip; hint of rufous breast band in one photo), but as it'd be the first Tajikistan record, I wanted to run it by this forum to make sure I'm not overlooking something else that would look like this.

Attachments

• DSCN6911cosh.JPG
    DSCN6911cosh.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN6912cosh.JPG
    DSCN6912cosh.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN6913cosh.JPG
    DSCN6913cosh.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN6914cosh.JPG
    DSCN6914cosh.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN6915cosh.JPG
    DSCN6915cosh.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN6916cosh.JPG
    DSCN6916cosh.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN6917cosh.JPG
    DSCN6917cosh.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN6918cosh.JPG
    DSCN6918cosh.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN6920cosh.JPG
    DSCN6920cosh.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 101
Nice record, Phil - are previous records of the species in Tajikistan no longer considered acceptable? The species appears in the BirdLife Tajikistan bird list: BirdLife Data Zone, along with Tajikistan Birds website: The Checklist of the Birds of Tajikistan. Birds of Tajikistan.

James
I should have specified... first eBird record, which is of course a very incomplete database. Do you know if there's a place to access previous records, as opposed to simply the lists?

I should have specified... first eBird record, which is of course a very incomplete database. Do you know if there's a place to access previous records, as opposed to simply the lists?
Many countries (in Asia, at least), don't have an official database of records from a birding body - though there's often someone keen enough to keep a sort of unofficial list. It's worthing contacting OSME to find out if they have any recording-keeping contact, or the authors of Birds of Central Asia, as they would have got their data from somewhere.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back