• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time out with the new scope! Cliffe Pools. (2 Viewers)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
So, got my first scope ever for Christmas from my mum, so today was the day I would try it out. Me and my dad visited Cliffe Pools, as hadn't visited in a while and wanted to see what was around. Got to the site around 11 and the first sighting was a kestrel which struggled to fly in the strong winds. Moving along the path, we moved off to a sidepath where I was able to use the scope to accurately observe 3 mallards about 200m out. We then made our way back along the path, and we spooked something. Not a clue what it was, it had white sides to the tail and was a brownish colour. It was on the floor then hopped onto a branch and flew off when I got nearer. After that, some ducks on the pool to the left of me were visible as shovelers and mallards. We then reached the wall which is past the pools, and a few stonechats flew up. I proceded to miss all my attempted pictures which sucked a little. Some greylag geese flew by in a group of about 30, and then my dad spotted a huge murmuration on the horizon, which turned out to be at least 500 lapwing and mixed ducks. Using the scope, I was able to positively identify all the species there, being wigeon, teal, shoveler, lapwing, coot and pochard (a lifer and idk how I've not seen one before but there they were in amongst the other ducks). Whilst getting closer, I noticed a gull which had very white looking wings and no markings on the wingtips but it flew off before I could ID it. We rounded the bend and the wind was super strong, a small charm of goldfinch appeared and landed next to a puddle for a drink then flew off. Whilst walking along the sea wall, I spotted a wader, dreams of a curlew sandpiper or bairds sandpiper quickly diminished as when I got the scope on it, it was a avocet. 2 other avocets were feeding on the flats, along with what I believe to be a bar-tailed godwit made a quick flyby. Nothing much really happened after that, one single flyover chaffinch was about it. Then my dad spotted a bench at the top of a small hill, but there was a big issue in the way. Cows. I'm not very keen on them since they're super sensitive, but my dad convinced me they wouldn't do anything and there was also a small stream in the way. Upon calming down, I spotted 2 little egrets feeding amongst the cows. To my left were about 8 lapwing which using the scope I confidently ID'd them as they were, and at least 300m out was a large group of ducks, mainly shoveler and teal, with the odd wigeon amongst them. We arrived back at the car, and I checked Birdguides to see what was around, Slavonian Grebe on the Ski Pool which we weren't able to view since we were in the car and we had decided to walk on a path which didn't go past that pool. 🤞 visiting Rainham tomorrow so will see how that goes.

Cheers for reading,
Ev

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back