• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fledgling Pygmy Owls in Belize (1 Viewer)

wildtracks

A day of epic beginnings to share with other owl people, as the first of two Feruginous Pygmy Owls finally fledged from the nest hole in the dead coconut outside the bedroom window. It wobbled its way with great energy and enthusiasm to a nearby papaya tree, and sat, chirruping away, urgently pleading for more sustenance from its parents. The poor, harrased adults are now trying to divide their time between the two chicks - the ball of fluffed-up feathers on the papaya, and the gaping mouth within the nest hole. It's going to take them all of their energy to keep up with the demands of these two, midget-sized owl-lets. 'Fluffed-up Feathers' has just tried a second solo flight, straight past the window...putting so much energy into the effort that it has missed the branch it was aiming for and...oops! in fact, overshot the entire tree! A rather shaky landing on the adjacent tree.

Hours of fun! It's going to be hard to get any work done for a while, me-thinks, as I sit here mesmerised by today's highlight...the culmination of many days of trips backwards and forwards by the two harassed adults. Fantastic birds!

Great birds aren't they. I have them calling outside of my bedroom, right in the middle of San Salvador on many mornings. Have you had much luck tracking down Central American Pygmy-Owls? I've still never seen one and I'm not quite sure what the call is, because my owl tape still has them lumped with Least Pygmy-Owl and I'm not sure if the call on the tape is Central American or not. Its not a species that gets mentioned in trip reports for northern Central America. They should be around on the Caribbean slope, but I guess that other birders have probably had the same encertainties as me because of confusion over the split.
Tom

Never seen the Central American Pygmy Owl (though not for lack of trying - but all those tail bands always come up light brown instead of white!) - however Lee Jones, in his new book on Birds of Belize, goes for lumping this with Least Pygmy Owl, so not sure on status. Only appears to be found in the Maya Mountains or other uplands area in Belize, and as I live on the coastal plain, I haven't come across them yet! I'll carry on looking, though...as I do stray into the mountains occasionally.

Sorry! That may be one of the few tapes I haven't got access to, so I can't say! Central America Pygmy-owl is featured in:

1) "Bird Songs of Belize, Guatemala and Mexico" by D. Delaney.
2) "A Bird Walk at Chan Chich" by J. V. Moore.
3) "Voices of Costa Rican Birds - Caribbean Slope" by D. L. Ross & B. M. Whitney.
4) "Songs from a (Vanishing) Belizean Rainforest" by J. Gilardi.

Wow you are so lucky.
Don't think I would get any work done either.
Have you access to a Digicam ? or a mobile phone that takes pictures?
We would luuuuuurve to see some piccys
peanut

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back