• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fody image in an opus page (Seychelles) (2 Viewers)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all, please look at this image on the page for Red-headed Fody
I have difficulty reconciling it with that species based on the few images I have seen online (and it is also out of range). However it might still be (I do not even have a book containing any Fodies), or it might be one of two other species:
*Aldabra Fody even though it would be more than 1000 km from the Aldabra atoll according to what I could find, OR
*Red (Madagascar) Fody which might be either natural or transported by humans to that area

Anyone with further insight??
thanks
Niels

I don't know these either. Lists of the birds of the Seychelles list Aldabra fody, and the image corresponds to this species afaik: e.g. fairly clear yellow belly. I guess the key is finding out what
location of photo = Seychelles actually means (precisely--which island)

Apparently the picture was taken in the Botanical Gardens which, I presume, means Victoria on Mahe island.

Not sure how big a pale area Madagascar Fody can have on lower unds, but I think that might be the common (introduced) one on Mahe.

Not sure how big a pale area Madagascar Fody can have on lower unds, but I think that might be the common (introduced) one on Mahe.
Well I guess that's the most likely (red = Madagascar Fody). I thought the yellow too yellow, but probably they're variable and they do hybridise I think.

Thank you all, and sorry for the time before I returned to this - four days without power does things to your schedule :cool:

Here is a link to an image of a Red Fody with a good deal of yellow on the underside, even though the border is not as clearcut :

I should also point out that the Red-headed Fody with the latest splits is only found in the Comoros.

Any further comments?
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back