• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chance find.. Dialyt 7x42B (2 Viewers)

I know you mentioned this before, Lee, and it could well be even more appropriate now that a few more years have passed, so I will give it a go, but I have to say I find it very uncomfortable. Perhaps if I persevere it will start to work for me. It is certainly a nuisance taking them off and then putting them back on. My specs are varifocals and that doesn't seem a good start — what is your own experience, in particular if there was a time when you switched from without specs to with?

Tom
I think it depends on whither you have astigmatism or not. I am slightly far sighted, but corrected to 20/12.5 vision with a +2 correction in each eye, but no astigmatism, so I use my bins without glasses. My glasses are never very clean and have scratches, I hate to add that kind of distortion to the system.

I think it depends on whither you have astigmatism or not. I am slightly far sighted, but corrected to 20/12.5 vision with a +2 correction in each eye, but no astigmatism, so I use my bins without glasses. My glasses are never very clean and have scratches, I hate to add that kind of distortion to the system.
Interesting, John. I don't have astigmatism either but like you am a little far-sighted. However - what anybody can deduce from this I have no idea - I get an extremely clear close up view through all my binoculars at nearer and very near distances, e.g. at 4 feet or less. The thing that is most demanding is switching between different glass to make comparisons, so i generally avoid doing so and just enjoy whatever I am using.

Today, after spending about six hours with papers and computer and unusually even failing to observe my usual get up and walkaround every 30 minutes, I picked up my Zeiss 8x32 FL and went outside to enjoy views in the rain-soaked countryside and marvelled at my eyesight (typically on good form in subdued rainy conditiond) and even more at the clarity of the FL.

Lee, if you are reading, that was an inspired purchase from you: you must be over the moon with the SF if it really is such an advance over the FL. I think mine should win a prize for its focus snap and collimation! And it's easily pocketable in an outdoor jacket if pocketing is needed.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back