• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forehead Rest - unsatisfactory range of adjustment for 8x42s (1 Viewer)

Owlbarred

United States
The eyecup adjustment positions below are in reference to the NL's 6 eyepiece "click" stops, from a fully extended eyecup (position 1) to fully retracted (position 6).

With the 8x42 NLs, the Forehead Rest (FR) is confounding. With the eyecups nearly fully extended (position 2) and the FR adjusted to its shortest length, the FR will rest comfortably on my forehead. But even at the FR's shortest length, if I further retract the eyecup to position 3, the FR is too long -- ridiculously so when the eyecups are retracted to positions 4-6 -- and the eyecups won't contact my face.

The FR's range of adjustment is about 22 mm (7/8 inches) and perhaps works well with 12x42s at all eyecup positions. Not so with 8x42s.

Last edited:
I would rather name the positions as follows: fully retracted, Position 0. and fully extended, Position 6. ;)
I think this utensil was designed first to completely appreciate the fantastic FOV offered with the eyescups in low positions.... I use these NLs a lot in this way, in position 0, and stabilizing the binoculars very well with the FRP, without contact with the eyescups in this position (I don't wear glasses)... and there, the fov is at its full power !!!

I would rather name the positions as follows: fully retracted, Position 0. and fully extended, Position 6. ;)
I think this utensil was designed first to completely appreciate the fantastic FOV offered with the eyescups in low positions.... I use these NLs a lot in this way, in position 0, and stabilizing the binoculars very well with the FRP, without contact with the eyescups in this position (I don't wear glasses)... and there, the fov is at its full power !!!
Appreciate the comments, especially for thinking outside the box. Frankly, I thought you were "off your rocker" to suggest balancing the NL's solely on the Forehead Rest's small contact point without the eyecups touching the face -- until I tried it.

A brief test revealed using your method works surprisingly well (perhaps a tiny bit less stable) and, as you noted, does open up limitless usable eyepiece adjustment adjustments and increased FOV. Using my BinoBandit to suppress increased sidelight entering the retracted eyepieces solved that problem. Will give it a try at the harrier roost tonight to see if your suggestion is practical and comfortable for prolonged scanning of a huge open area. Sure hope it works well.

It seemed to me that the purpose of the Forehead Rest -- increased stability -- was defeated if the eyecups did not touch the face, when in the 4 lowest (retracted ) "click" positions. Still true, but certainly not to the degree I would have expected using your suggestion. Can always substitute the "fingers on the hat" method for stability....

Lastly, does anyone know if the Forehead Rest shafts, partly exposed on the 8x42s, fit flush with the body on the 12x42 NL's and thus allow full use of a FR's range of adjustment ?

Last edited:
The panoramic vision, the 'cinematic' landscape offered by these binoculars with the eyecups in position 0, still amazes me every day after a year and a half of use !
I was just mentioning that I use NL's a lot in this way, but not only, and I'm not saying that it's the 'best' way, all the time, but just trying to answer your question, your concern, 'the eyecups won't contact my face '.
Personally, for 'comfortable and prolonged scanning of a huge open area', I use a monopod (Velbon ultra stick Super 8), small, light, really well thought out and designed, always attached to my belt, which I deploy in 30 seconds, and attach the NL's to it... here obviously, with the eyecups still in position 0, the FRP is dispensable, etc etc, and I can scan a wonderful landscape, a point of view, for an hour or two if I want to...

Kind regards, Owlbarred
;)

Appreciate the comments, especially for thinking outside the box. Frankly, I thought you were "off your rocker" to suggest balancing the NL's solely on the Forehead Rest's small contact point without the eyecups touching the face -- until I tried it.

A brief test revealed using your method works surprisingly well (perhaps a tiny bit less stable) and, as you noted, does open up limitless usable eyepiece adjustment adjustments and increased FOV. Using my BinoBandit to suppress increased sidelight entering the retracted eyepieces solved that problem. Will give it a try at the harrier roost tonight to see if your suggestion is practical and comfortable for prolonged scanning of a huge open area. Sure hope it works well.

It seemed to me that the purpose of the Forehead Rest -- increased stability -- was defeated if the eyecups did not touch the face, when in the 4 lowest (retracted ) "click" positions. Still true, but certainly not to the degree I would have expected using your suggestion. Can always substitute the "fingers on the hat" method for stability....

Lastly, does anyone know if the Forehead Rest shafts, partly exposed on the 8x42s, fit flush with the body on the 12x42 NL's and thus allow full use of a FR's range of adjustment ?
I owe you a beer. Your suggestion worked really well,. Made a huge difference — i’m amazed,, Like you I don’t wear glasses. thanks again.

Last edited:
I owe you a beer. Your suggestion worked really well,. Made a huge difference — i’m amazed,, Like you I don’t wear glasses. thanks again.
Always happy to exchange, to discuss !!
And if one day you come to France, we will share this beer with pleasure ! 🍻

Sorry for any confusion. From post #3 to Tehri: "Frankly, I thought you were "off your rocker" to suggest balancing the NL's solely on the Forehead Rest's small contact point without the eyecups touching the face -- until I tried it."

By being able to fully or nearly fully retract eyecups when using the Forehead Rest, regardless of whether the eyecups were resting on the face, allowed the eyecups to be positioned optimally inward (as Henry Link had suggested to me in an earlier thread) until side glare on the objective lenses was eliminated in horrid light conditions at the harrier roost. Tehri' s suggestion proved "an answer to a prayer." At the same time, as Tehri noted, and I now understand: "The panoramic vision, the 'cinematic' landscape offered by these binoculars with the eyecups in position 0, still amazes me every day after a year and a half of use !"
Position 0 = eyecups fully retracted when using the headrest without glasses.

Last edited:
The panoramic vision, the 'cinematic' landscape offered by these binoculars with the eyecups in position 0, still amazes me every day after a year and a half of use !
I was just mentioning that I use NL's a lot in this way, but not only, and I'm not saying that it's the 'best' way, all the time, but just trying to answer your question, your concern, 'the eyecups won't contact my face '.
Personally, for 'comfortable and prolonged scanning of a huge open area', I use a monopod (Velbon ultra stick Super 8), small, light, really well thought out and designed, always attached to my belt, which I deploy in 30 seconds, and attach the NL's to it... here obviously, with the eyecups still in position 0, the FRP is dispensable, etc etc, and I can scan a wonderful landscape, a point of view, for an hour or two if I want to...

Kind regards, Owlbarred
;)
Hi, please can you let me know how you attach your NL’s to the Velbon Ultra Stick Super 8?

Many thanks 👍

I use the Forehead rest and the winged eyecups on my 10x42’s and find the three points of contact really stabilise my viewing pleasure. The winged eyecups fill the gap caused by moving the eye cups to my preferred position 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back