• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FOUR ASHES and District. (1 Viewer)

Some of the wildlife...

1...Banded Demoiselle
2...Beautiful Demoiselle
3...Buzzard
4...Chiffchaff
5...Swallow

Attachments

• Canon 153 028.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 153 028.jpg low.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Canon 153 033 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 153 033 A.jpg low.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Canon 153 048.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 153 048.jpg low.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Canon 153 067.jpg LOW.jpg
    Canon 153 067.jpg LOW.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Canon 153 090 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    Canon 153 090 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 22
Hi Keith,

Pic 2 looks like a Banded Demoiselle to me. Beautiful should have uniformly coloured wings if I remember correctly. Bandeds will hang around canals and pools with lots of lush vegetation. The only Beautifuls I have seen are around much faster flowing streams with 'gravelly' beds.

You never know what else could be lurking round there.

Good luck!

Steve

Hi Keith,

Have you seen any flooded areas or areas of mud around that area?

Would be interested to know in case of potential wader habitat to check for the coming migration which has already started.

Cheers

Steve

Woops sorry Steve - only just seen your above post..slightly late I think.....lol

Hopefully I will be posting here some more from now on as there is a bit of winter action starting around the site.

At daybreak this morning there were about a dozen Long Tailed Tits moving in amongst the sparse trees that divide the units...they were here and gone in seconds.
Seeing them I quickly got the bins and camera from the car and about 9am there were some Thrushes on the more distant tree tops and I got a couple of shots.
They were big ones and I hoped for Fieldfare but think they were Mistle Thrush.

Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 221 015.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 221 015.jpg low.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 15
On the 16th Dec I had a few Redwing in the same tree as the Mistle Thrush in last report.

Last Thursday I only had literally a minute to locate the Great Northern Diver at Gailey Sailing Pool and it was on far shore .....having a little rest from diving.

Attachments

• Canon 223 005.jpg
    Canon 223 005.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2014 Canon 1 044.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 1 044.jpg low.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2014 Canon 1 044 A.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 1 044 A.jpg low.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 13
Popped down to Gailey after early shift for the Great White Egret and Great Northern Diver.
The sun had gone in and the wind was howling around the sailing pool - a quick sighting and dive from the Diver and a fly over and land from the Egret.
Apparently when i saw the Diver last week it was ill and not resting but I was told its looking better now.
Loads of GCGrebes around.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 3 027.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 3 027.jpg low.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2014 Canon 3 007 A.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 3 007 A.jpg low.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2014 Canon 3 016 A.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 3 016 A.jpg low.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 23
Kestrel and Prey

He flew across the road in front of my car and I quickly stopped,got the camera out of the boot and got 2 shots off before he flew off....only one turned out.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 37 143 A jpEG 800.jpg
    2014 Canon 37 143 A jpEG 800.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 26
Hundreds of Lapwing in previously ploughed fields just opposite and past Straight Mile turn on way to Gailey.
Some were being chased by the Gulls...also lots of Pigeon and Corvids.
The Kestrel is also to be spotted around here - mostly on the wires.

really happy with this thread. I live just down the road in Fordhouses. Love the activity on my doorstep. Can I get some info on Belvide/ Gailey? Im still a very new member of the birding community and getting familiar with the local spots.

really happy with this thread. I live just down the road in Fordhouses. Love the activity on my doorstep. Can I get some info on Belvide/ Gailey? Im still a very new member of the birding community and getting familiar with the local spots.

Both sites can be visited with a permit from the West Midland Bird Club.

Belvide is a cracking reserve with hides, feeding stations etc. News on sightings can be found on Steve Nuttall's excellent Belvide Birding blog.

Gailey doesn't have the hides etc and is generally disturbed with sailing and fishing. However it does turn up the occasional goodie and is easy to do quickly. I get there most weekends and will start doing pre and post work visits with the longer daylight hours. If you've got any particular species queries just say as there's plenty of birders on here to assist.

Good birding

Steve

As I got in my car on works car park on 4 ashes the other day I saw a Hawk coming towards me in my wing mirror.....it was quite small and brown (crap observation ) and veered off down to the incinerator......had both Kestrel and Sparrowhawk on the main road here before.

1pm...

HOBBY came from around Coton circled over Stratford Road and back towards Coton again.
2 Buzzard circling incinerator area between torrential rain showers.

Last edited:
INCINERATOR......

2 Large birds circling the incinerator around 2pm....thought both were RAVEN but no bins and only had my phone to get these snaps.....nightmare trying to focus......one looks to have a different tail ?

Attachments

• 20171219_140803.jpg
    20171219_140803.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20171219_140811.jpg
    20171219_140811.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 15
Always hundreds of Lapwing...along with Gulls Corvids and Pigeons in the wet/flooded fields just past the slip road onto M6 at junc 12.

Four Ashes Incinerator 15/3/22...3pm..... I am always seeing multiple Buzzards overhead and have spotted Ravens...Sparrowhawks and Peregrines but today as I was leaving work I had my camera as a Peregrine circled. It went behind the Incinerator but then showed up again (could have been another) and as I was struggling to focus etc my last pics were a Sparrowhawk....LOL.....just hoping I have camera ready when (if) the Barn Door comes to the area again...2 cropped and 2 as shot pics...

Attachments

• 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 28 a.JPG
    28 a.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 30 a.JPG
    30 a.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back